Production of Fatty Emulsion
Development of Technology for Production of Fatty Emulsion and its Components for Medical Purposes
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-MCH/Machinery and Tools/Manufacturing Technology
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Weaver L M
Design Bureau of Special Mechanical Engineering, Russia, St Petersburg
- Ministry of Health / Russian Research Institute for Haemotology and Transfusiology, Russia, St Petersburg
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Project summaryThe goal of the Project is the development of technology and creation of a pilot industrial plant for production of a fatty emulsion and its components for the medical purposes. At the moment domestic pharmacology has no facility producing a preparation of fatty emulsion used for intravenous injection, which is necessary as an important component of parenteral feeding. The preparation of fatty emulsion is of special importance in extraordinary situation and during natural catastrophe (failures at nuclear power stations, earthquakes, fire, floods) for treatment of wounded and persons with burns.
Until now our practical medicine have to use preparations imported from Sweden, Germany, Finland.
In 1986 in Laboratory of Fatty Emulsions of R&D Institute of Haemotology and Transfusiology fatty emulsion “Infusilipol” has been created and was approved for industrial production by Committee of Pharmacology (Ministry of Medicine of USSR). By its quality, treatment efficiency and acceptance by patients “Infusolipol” does not concede to foreign analogues, has essentially lower cost (25-30% less) and has a real advantage – provokes no toxic reaction. Fatty emulsion “Infusolipol” is protected by Russian patent №12856658 (1993). “Infusolipol” has been produced by small amount at the laboratory of RNIIHT, but after 1992 due to absence of budgeting its production was ceased at all. This emulsion created by RNIIHT could and has to be used as a basis for a pilot production of this preparation.
- Pilot production of components: high-purity medical lecithin and high purity soy-bean oil.
- Creation of high pressure homogenizator for the pilot industrial production of fatty emulsion.
- Working-out of technology for the pilot industrial production of fatty emulsion and assessment of its physical-and-chemical parameters.
- Development of engineering specifications for the pilot industrial production of fatty emulsion.
- Creation of optimal operating conditions for technological processes for manufacturing of fatty emulsion and its components what enables to develop database for industrial design.
A future activity of the foreign collaborator may be focused on the organization of the contacts with foreign experts/companies working in this field for exchange and evaluation of information on production of fatty emulsion as well as technical performances of equipment developed in a frame of this project with existing equipment and technologies with a target to improve quality and cost effectiveness of the Project.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.