Power Semiconductor Devices
Creation of Power Semiconductor Devices of New Generation
Tech Area / Field
- INF-COM/High Performance Computing and Networking/Information and Communications
- INF-ELE/Microelectronics and Optoelectronics/Information and Communications
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
- PHY-SSP/Solid State Physics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
MISIS (Steel and Alloys), Russia, Moscow
- NPO Lutch, Russia, Moscow reg., Podolsk
- General Electric Company / Global Research Center, USA, NY, Niskayuna\nUniversität Ulm / Central Facility of Electron Microscopy, Germany, Ulm
Project summaryThe urgency of the problem:
Nowadays discrete power semiconductor devices are used in all branches of power engineering, industry, transport. High-power semiconductor devices (diodes, transistors, thyristors) are used in converting devices of electric power in power industry, in power supply systems of railway transport, in control systems of technological processes in metallurgy etc.
The design’s base of contemporary discrete power semiconductor devices is semiconductor’s single crystal in shape of plane plate.
The design of existing discrete semiconductor devices based on the application of plane single-crystal semiconductors plates, during work of the device causes occurrence and flow of some electro-physical effects which adversely affect its performance characteristics.
Possible solution method:
In the construction of the power semiconductor devices of new generation, the flat single-crystal semiconductor plate is substituted by a single crystal in the form of a thin-walled hollow piece of round cross-section tube, which will lead to raising the level of performance characteristics and performance properties of devices of new generation.
Goal of the project:
The creation of rectifying power semiconductor devices (diodes) with the Shottki barrier and with p-n junction in form of thin-walled hollow cylinders.
The expected results:
The physical and mathematical model of the process of crystallization of the silicon melt in conditions applying the die, in contact with the melt.
The physical and mathematical model of the process of growth of silicon mono-crystal epitaxial layer of on the surface of a substrate with cylindrical surface.
Methods of investigating multi-layered structures on the basis of selection silicon single crystals.
Production of experimental specimens of rectifying power diodes with the Shottki barrier and rectifying diodes with p-n transition on the basis of non-planar (cylindrical) semiconductor structures.
Attainment of device characteristics by the overall results of statistical researches:
- The lowering of magnitude of the direct voltage decrease by 20-25%
- The lowering of magnitude of leakage current 2-3 times
- The lowering of thermal resistance 3-6 times
- Suppression of mechanical instability completely
- Suppression of magnetic instability completely
- Increase of operational life 1,5-2 times
Steps of realization of the project:
In order to create new power semiconductor devices of new generation, it is necessary to research:
- Research the process of growth of the silicon single crystal in form of tubes from melt.
- Research the process of forming of multi-layered epitaxial semiconductor compositions by in form of tubes on the base of silicon single crystals in forms of tubes.
- Production of experimental samples of devices and investigation of their characteristics.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.