Optical Registration of Eye Motions
A New Optical Method for Registration of Eyemotors Response for Diagnosis of Visual and Vestibular Analyzers
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
- MED-DID/Diagnostics & Devices/Medicine
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Cybernetics, Georgia, Tbilisi
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey / New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine, USA, NJ, Stratford
Project summaryBecause of the rise of work intensity, emergence a new orientation in manufacture and assimilation of new professions requiring the organs of sight and equilibrium to be in order, especially actual are being become the problem of professional selection by sight organ and equilibrium, and in time exact eluciatation the disorder of visual and vestibular analyzers. Investigation of eyemotor responses is paid a great attention to specialists of different fields of medicine, science and technics. Medical men define the localization and dynamics of pathology by nystagmus and other eyemotor responses. The other eyemotor responses associated with action of visual analyzes are very important, such as pupillary and accommodation reflexes. Aviamedicine men use nystagmus reflex to determine the general condition of consonants. Furthermore, eyemotor responses may be used for delivering the commands to different mechanisms in order to accelerate the human response in extremal situations (during piloting air- and cosmic apparatus), during autocontrolling of different technical and technological processes and etc. In accordance with this, it is important to improve and develop the instrumental methods and apparatus for investigation eyemotor responses using the latest achievements in medicine and technics and to create newest, more effective apparatus as well as sparing method of investigation.
It is known that act present among the noncontactive method of registration of eyemotor responses more popular is photoelectric method. This method in contract to others, allows to registate, including, rotational motion of eyes and combine the nystagmus record with simultaneous electric stimulation of labyrinth. Errors sources of photoelectric method were used as controll-investigations, including pigment variation of different eyes, unequal reflection of light beams from different regions of the same eye, and constant motion of eyes and head of investigated subject according to light source and photodetector leading to deteriozation of accuracy and linearity of method. For example, when recording the motion of eyes, unequal pigment variation of iris and blurring its edges on curve, dependence of output signal on turning angle of eye produces nonlinear regions.
A close and active of methods for registration of eyemotor responses had been made by authors of present project. Some of the developments have been introduced in practice of medical-biological problem in accordance with program "motion disease". On a number of equipments were compiled medical-technical requirements and were recommended for introduction.
The present polarize-optical method for registration of eyemotor responses is free from a lot of disadvantages of photoelectric method. In device which is developed on the base of this method, the main attention will be focused on connectivity of light flux parameters with tissues structures of eyeball.
The present project will create a powerful scientific base for further investigation of visual and vestibular analyzers. In addition, the problem of engineering psychology, construction practice and usage the "man-machine" systems also requires investigation eyemotor responses as index of dynamics of psychical processes and action of operators.
The chief object of this project is development and investigation of a new polarise optical method for recording of eyemotor responses and for creation on the base of this method a device useful for recording of eyemotor, pupillary and accommodation reflexes.
Actuality level of these problems is being underlined by that on this problem more than once international and All-Union conferences were being held, for example, in Varna 14-15 November, 1985, Kaluga, 19-21 June. 1990, where were published reports of the authors of this project. Below, there is a list of some the scientific works of the authors of this project.
1. С.Н.Хечинашвили, Б.М.Заргарян, К.Г.Каракозов. Электрическая стимуляция вестибулярного анализатора в условиях фотоэлектрической регистрации движений глаз «Вестник оториноларингологии», Москва 1984 г.
2. К.Г.Каракозов. Прибор для регистрации движений глаз. Труды первой национальной конференции с международным участием «Космос 85» 14-15 ноября 1985 года, Варна, НРБ
3. К.Г.Каракозов. Техническая аппаратура для исследования вестибулярного анализатора. IV Всесоюзная научно-техническая конференция «Проблемы техники в медицине», 21-23 октября 1986 г, Тбилиси.
4. Авт. свид. №1388024. Способ исследования аккомодации глаза. К.Г.Каракозов.. Б.Н.№14 1988 г, М кл. А61 В3/00.
5. Авт. свид. №1469586. Устройство для регистрации углов поворота глаза и зрачковых реакций. К.Г.Каракозов, 1988, М кл. А61 В3/00.
6. К.Г.Каракозов. К методике фотоэлектронистагмографии. IX Всесоюзная конференция «Космическая биология и авиакосмическая медицина», Калуга, 19-21 июня 1990 г.
7. Патент Республики Грузия №351 Устройство для измерения внутриглазного давления. К.Г.Каракозов, С. П. Левицкий. 1996 г.
8. К.Г.Каракозов и др. Тонометр. Georgian Engeneering News 2000 г. №1.
Expected Results and their Application:
– polarize-optical method for recording of eyemotor responses will have been developed and investigated;
– on the base of polarize-optical method a device for recording motion of eyes, pupillary and accommodation reflexes will have been developed and investigated as well as its functional model;
– the models of optical analogues-phantoms will have been developed and created;
– it will have been carries out the preliminary testing of developed device on phantoms and the final testing - on healthy inpidum/under test and recipients with different disorders of vestibular and visual analyzers.
Application fields of results is large:
– application in medicine: otolaryngology, psychology, ophthalmology, cosmo- and aviamedicine and etc.;
– application in engineering psychology and in practice of construction and operation of the system "man-machine";
– to give a command to different mechanisms for the purpose of acceleration the human responses in extremal situations (for example, when piloting air- and cosmic apparatus).
Meeting ISTC Goals and Objectives:
The project gives specialists from Georgia a chance to use their skill, knowledge and experiences in peaceful activity: in medicine, on revealing in five visual and vestibular analyzers disorder, for functional diagnosis about psichophysiological condition of human, for professional selection on these organs: in engineering psychology when investigating the sensor activity of operator, when constructing and operating the system "man-machine"; in renewal of collaboration with scientists and specialists of world scientific society, in sharing information, and etc.
Role of Foreign Collaborators.
According to the volume of the activity within the bounds of the project the role of foreign collaborators is very essential, many-sided and is expressed as follows: aching information in:
– in the course of the accomplishment of the project and periodically jointly holding working-meetings, seminars, symposiums and conferences;
– presenting comments on the scientific and technical reports and giving advice how to adopt their method within following work.
– carrying out mutual tests, cross-examination and estimating the method done working maket and the method for carrying out test.
Participating in the examination of the operation of the project rendering assistance and giving material support to the participants of the projects for participating in the International conferences.
The present method for recording of eyemotor responses is based on polarized and fiber optical elements and also, on methods of photoelectrical measurements providing incontact method for recording the eyemotor responses in IR-spectrum without disording physiological functions of visual analyzer. Taking into consideration the requirements for quality of measurement systems and methods for graphic record (electrooculography, nystagmography and etc.) during the work will have been used method wherein the necessary information is being determined only with regard to interaction of recording devices with bioobject (eye tissues). The authors of this project consider it necessary to approbate the suggested method and device on optical analogues of eye for preliminary evaluation of their parameters as transition from model to live eye has undesirable advantages. The method of investigation is being worked safety and reliability of carrying out the measurements on live is being arised and etc.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.