Regulations on Biosafety in Kyrgyzstan
Development and Modernization of Guidelines, Standards and Regulations on Biosafety and Biosecurity in Kyrgyz Republic
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
- MED-DIS/Disease Surveillance/Medicine
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Weaver L M
State Sanitary Epidemiological Supervision Department, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Kazakh Scientific Center for Quarantine and Zoonotic Diseases, Kazakstan, Almaty\nNational Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan / Biotechnology Institution, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek\nKyrgyz Research Institute of Veterinary named after A.Duysheev, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek\nRepublican Center of Quarantine and Especially Dangerous Infections, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Foreign Affairs Canada, Canada, ON, Ottawa
Project summaryPurpose of the project: creation and improvement of standards and the legal system determining activity of laboratory structures in establishing and maintenance of biosafety on the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic and Central Asia. The basic purpose is development and introduction of detailed technical and informational tools congruous to the international systems of management of laboratory works for qualitative management and acceptance of the duly measures directed on maintenance of national and interstate biosafety.
During performance of the project will be obtained:
- Legal-methodical documents adjusting processes of work with biologically dangerous objects according to the international standards;
- Creation of an interstate Kyrgyz-Kazakh working commission of experts with purpose of coordination and exchange of the information between the State institutions and also solution of problems connected with biosafety and biological protection;
- Development of curriculums and carrying out of trainings in the field of biosafety with purpose to increase knowledge in problems of biosafety;
- Creation schedule of preventive designing and putting into operation biolaboratories.
Urgency of a problem of biosafety includes necessity of creation of safe conditions of human’s life activity certain by the modern epidemiological, social, economic and geopolitical processes occurring in the separate countries and in the world as a whole.
Present threats of occurrence of extreme situations caused by influence of pathogenic microorganisms requires acceptance of special organizational, economic and political measures to maintain readiness of corresponding State structures to carry out actions for their prevention, localization and liquidation of consequences.
Creation the safe conditions of life activity of the person and preservation of safe conditions of activity for people engaged in various research works connected with use of biologically dangerous materials is still very important.
Laboratories are objects which can represent the certain threat of contamination by dangerous infection diseases of the personnel which are carrying out researches and also to render adverse environmental impact. Creation of special operating conditions with application of modern technologies and approaches, execution of technical actions is directed toward protection against release of contagious agents to an environment and promotes protection of the personnel.
In Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan were accepted to execution the directive documents which controls processes of creation of safe operating conditions during carrying out of laboratory researches. That documents determined basic ways and methods of work with the infected pathogenical material allowing to protect the working personnel and to prevent distribution of infection. However, they mismatch the international standards and demand perfection. In this connection is essential to revise the acting legal base and develop new technical procedures, programs and concepts for maintenance of biosafety. One of the main conditions of maintenance of biosafety is creation of congruous with the international analogues legal base.
The specified legal documents are aimed at protection of citizen’s health and maintenance of sanitary-and-epidemiologic well-being of the Republic. Legislatively allocated rights and duties of the legal structures irrespective of patterns of ownership and physical persons on creation of safe conditions of life activity and work of the population, and preservations of a safe environment. Were determined levels of potential hazard of the various substances made in republic and imported for needs of the population and manufacture. Questions of complex preventive and antiepidemic actions in case of occurrence of extreme situations were included. Appreciably has become stronger legislative basis that regulates activity of bodies of State Sanitary Epidemiological Supervision and structure of the government.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.