Video Conferencing Terminal
Development of a Low Bit Rate Video Conferencing Terminal for the Satellite Communication System with an Address Coding of Information Streams
Tech Area / Field
- INF-COM/High Performance Computing and Networking/Information and Communications
3 Approved without Funding
NIIMP (Microdevices), Russia, Moscow reg., Zelenograd
- Science and Production Center SINIS, Russia, Moscow reg., Zelenograd
- Carl Zeiss Jena GmbH, Germany, Jena
Project summaryThe aim of the project is the development of a hardware-software product that can demonstrate the feasibility of conducting videoconferences through the switched telephone communication networks, where data transfer is provided by V.34 modems. Besides, the hardware-software means for the address data transfer with protection of information streams are to be also engineered.
The result of the project will be creating hardware-software means that allow point to point transmission of video information with the bit rate of 28.8 kb/s, from 5 to 12 frames/s with color pictures sizes meeting the format QCEF (176x144 pixels) or subQCIF (128x96 pixels), with synchronous transmission of voice compressed according to standard G.723 and on line address coding of information streams.
Creating the video conferencing system solely based on software solutions will provide usage of presently available communication means. Besides, this approach does not require of custom developed advanced hardware. At the following stage of the project it is envisaged to develop in accordance with the standards G.723 and G.728 some system components, for instance, voice compression means using hardware based on the signal processors TNS320C30/40. It is expected that the proposed solutions will result in creating the product fully in conformity with the standard H.324 and other standard related to it. The essence of the above solutions is the following:
a) Elaborating the algorithms: for video picture compression and transmission including the high efficiency algorithms for the intra-frame 2D interpolation (zooming), for approximate conversion of color difference components, for inter-frame compression encoding of the video pictures series, for selecting background blocks and leveling the transferred data stream.
b) Realization of voice compression in accordance with the standard G.723 using the universal processor Pentium.
c) Developing the means of compressing three dissimilar streams on the basis of the recommendation H.223, protocols of transferring and compressing data according the standards V. 14, V.42, V.42bis and others; elaborating control protocol in accordance with the standard H.245; designing the means of support for the point to point video conferencing in the switched network on the basis of recommendation T. 120, and developing the system control.
d) Using address coding of information streams at the transport level of processing data with the aid of hardware support means.
Expected Results of the Project:
- The software complex realizing the function of the low rate video conferencing terminal functioning in the operation medium Pentium (Pentium Pro) controlled by operational system Windows NT (Windows 95).
- Self-contained software modules (with source codes and software documentation) realizing independent support functions.
- Methods of testing the hardware and software means of audio and video information transfer.
- Hardware and software means of the guaranteed address delivery of the information to a user with the complete set of technical and software documentation.
It is envisaged to apply the results of the project in the following areas:
- Functioning telephone systems, the satellite communication systems for the government, banks, commercial and industrial companies;
- Developing systems of the computer telephony;
- Corporate territorial networks;
- Local (LAN) and global (INTERNET) networks of data transfer.
Potential Role of Foreign Collaborators
Potential role of foreign collaborators may be the following:
- Refinement of the technical assignment in view of providing competitive positions and solutions of the project;
- License support at the stage of realization of the standards for transfer video and audio data, voice compression, multiplexing of information streams.
- Concurrence of technical approaches and the software-hardware interfaces of the proposed project with approaches and developments of partners if it is expected to apply the results of the project in the products of p partners as an integral part.
- Marketing researches in the areas of the project scope for defining the most promising directions of work during the project period.
- Application of the project results jointly with the company developing a new product.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.