Correction of Human Physical Development
Automated Measurement System of Human Physical State and Correction of the State by Means of Physical Training
Tech Area / Field
- INF-SIG/Sensors and Signal Processing/Information and Communications
- INF-SOF/Software/Information and Communications
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
3 Approved without Funding
Belarussian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics, Belarus, Minsk
- University of Applied Sciences, Germany, Mittweida\nBrunel University / Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, UK, Middlesex, Uxbridge
Project summaryThe main goal of the project is development and demonstration of a unique automated system for rapid assessment of students` physical condition and its correction by means of physical education based on computer software and an inexpensive hardware unit.
The actuality of the project proposal and problem description. There are a lot of health deterioration causes: pollution, food patterns decline, emotional and intellectual overwork etc. But the most important one is a rapid decrease of the exercise load level, hypo-dynamics.
According to the data of Ministry of Education of the Republic of Belarus, more than 52% of school age children and 58% of students have hypertonic/hypotonic deviations. The most deviations (up to 67%) are diagnosed among children in the fifth to eighth school years. 10-15% of schoolchildren have overweight. Every year 12% of the children under 15 are diagnosed with the fault in posture, scoliosis, flatfoot, and up to 20% causes of physical retardation are diagnosed relating to the cardiovascular system problems only. Only 13% from the 1.5 million children in schools of the Republic of Belarus were diagnosed as “healthy”, and there are nearly none of “healthy” children in senior classes. A half of the pre-induction age boys are non-effective for health reasons, two thirds have medical restrictions by the vocational choice. The number of schoolchildren in special medical groups in Belarus has increased; most of them (up to 35%) attend high school. The hypo-dynamics leads to detraining of skeletal muscles, decrease of muscle bulk, albumin biosynthesis, energy processes. There are hefty distortions of cardiovascular system. There are no devices for control and correction of the training process, if needed.
The actuality of the system suggested and concernment in the project results is underlined in a letter of the Private production enterprise «SVT Factory».
The project’ impact on training process control implies development of new methods and devices for health-improvement of youth. The core is in monthly measurement of the main physiological parameters and, based on their dynamics, - by the computer data processing – further inpidual prescriptions in terms of physical exercises and activities. This will create the background for health improvement and improvement of training process safety.
Project devices, algorithms and software will enable us to create an automated system for registration of inpidual characteristics, as well as for moulding a set of inpidual exercises to improve this characteristic.
This system does not have any analogs, that’s why project contributors offer their product not only for the Republic of Belarus, but also for CIS-states and other countries.
Project contributors. For the implementation of the project we invite high-skilled BSUIR scientists. Among 15 developers, 4 have a Doctoral degree or an academic rank “professor”, 6 PhD’s, 8 specialists have experience in weapon development, airborne informational and measurement systems, guidance systems, test and control devices. 4 participators have patents in the military field of researches. “Non-weapon-related” project participators have scientific publications and inventions in the field of medical equipment methods and devices and sport training methods. Specialists that took part at the previous ISTC B-371 project are successors of this project results.
Expected results and their application. The project category is – applied researches and technology demonstration. The completed 6 tasks of the project will provide the following results:
- A methodology for evaluation of testes’ physical condition will be developed, as well as for selection of correction exercises. A physiological grouping and testing charts have been developed to this effect.
- A mathematical technique and algorithms for express-analysis and estimation of physical development will be developed.
- We will introduce original software set for provision of inpidual recommendations for physical correction exercises, taking into account changes of the main parameters in physical condition.
- An inspection cell will be designed, comprising a data transfer, store and processing interface. A pilot model of the system will be designed and manufactured.
- System sensibility will be tested. System hardware, software, and design documentation will be debugged.
- A field trial will be organized within a group of 100 to 150 students.
As a result of project’s implementation:
- a new methodology will be created, both for testing of physical health and for a new set of correction exercises;
- an innovative practical hardware, software and algorithms will be created;
- a “Health” database will be created;
- two pilot versions of the system will be manufactured;
Project’s scientific and applied relevance is:
- advance in health techniques via physical culture;
- creation of hardware-and-software complex, enabling inpidual choice of set exercises.
Project’s commercial value is that its software and a cheap inspection cell enable project’s easy manufacturing. Project’s hardware and software are supposed to be patented, also applicable for licensing.
Functional area: schools and educational institutions, inpidual sportsmen.
Meeting ISTC Goals and Objectives. The Project is being implied under ISTC’s guidance, which is:
- retargeting of weapon-oriented participants to civil activities via an automated system for express physical fitness evaluation and correction;
- project collaborators’ integration into the international research community via establishment of contacts to foreign colleagues and participation in international scientific workshops;
- applied research in development of methods and tools for human physical advancement and health promotion at national and global level;
- conversion to a non-military market economy;
Project’s effects may help “weapon researchers” become self-financed via further marketing of the system.
Scope of activities. The total scope of work is rated for two years and comprises 5,324 man-work units, sectioned into 6 tasks. Implementation of all the tasks is assigned to the BSUIR.
A further in-depth analysis of system’s impact on health correction exercises is needed. Only continuous mutual co-operation between health officers, instructors, system designers, software specialists and product engineers will help. This might necessitate a continuous co-operation between all of these specialist teams in the project implementation, because any probable changes of in a certain branch of research shall inevitably impact the results received by other teams. A commercial manufacture may be commenced upon approbation and evaluation of the results, gained by a control team (100-150 inpiduals).
BSUIR employees shall be responsible for the system design, software, sheet-oriented and development programs. Also they are in charge of the trial, as well as of the medical support of all activities.
Project task linkages:
Role of Foreign Collaborators. According to the scope of activity within the project under consideration, the following pattern of co-operation with foreign collaborators is being suggested:
- information sharing during the project implementation;
- note statements on project technical reports;
- inspection of project results;
- evaluation of project technologies;
- rendering assistance to project contributors in terms of their participation in international workshops and conferences, organization of collaborative workshops, participation in performance review.
A probable Collaborator is supposed to be Dr. Tatiana Kalganova UNI Electronic and Computing Engineering School of Engineering and Design Brunel University (UB8 3PH Uxbridge United Kingdom).
Technical Approach and Methodology. The scientific approach and methodology are based on the research data received during health promotion tests on BSUIR students. The tests have been performed using stationary medical displays for evaluation of sportsmen’ functional status. The medical displays have greatly contributed to the hardware’s high cost. Preliminary observations and tests enabled creation of a pilot model – of now favorably estimated in several educational institutions, which have issued recommendations and requests for the system’s commercial manufacture. The methodology is subject to further adjustment and development during project implementation. The project contributors have carried out a preliminary research on the impact of physical exercises on physiological, integral and anthropometric characteristics of the human body – and specified a bunch of physical exercises, which might improve these characteristics.
The express-evaluation system’s scientific and technological approach in terms of the project under consideration shall be varied, pursuant to various methods for health improvement and its medical aspects.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.