Bioprotection of Plants
Research on Ecologically Pure Means of Plant Protection (Biopesticides)
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-PPR/Plant Protection/Agriculture
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Weaver L M
KORGOO, Kyrgyzstan, Komsomolsky
- National Biotechnology Center of Kazakstan / Scientific Research Agricultural Institute, Kazakstan, Gvardeiski
The aim of the studies, aimed on the search for ecologically pure means of plant protection is the reduction of pesticide pressure on nature, man, and the environmental protection, using safe means of plant protection.
In the world practice, research on pesticides of plant origin is conducted in many countries (the USA, Germany, Bulgaria, Poland, etc.). In our country, such investigations began to be carried out only in recent years. The results show that the nature of Kyrgyzstan is a unique treasury to search for pesticide plants. The flora has plants, which have insecticide, fungicide, and other effect on pest organisms. The main task of our work is the collection of these plants, their introduction, the technology of their processing and application, as well as their further realization to the agricultural industry. This work will enable us to create low-cost and ecologically pure means of plant protection. The project participants are highly-qualified specialists, who previously worked at the production and development of fungous and bacterial disease agents, as well as at pests, nematodes, and rodents, so the collection of plants and the further testing of their biological effectiveness will be carried out on a professional level.
The expedition investigations of biopesticides of the country will allow to achieve the following results:
• collection of plants with pesticide properties from the flora of Kyrgyzstan;
• collection of plants, which are the most biologically effective against pest organisms;
• development of the technology of the cultivation, processing, and application of pesticide plants;
• creation of an assortment of ecologically safe pesticides.
The realization of the project will allow:
1. The researchers and specialists from the Research Agricultural Institute of the National Centre for Biotechnology of the Republic of Kazakhstan to re-orientate their abilities to peaceful activities;
2. To integrate scientists from Kyrgyzstan with the scientists from the world scientific community;
3. To solve the problem of protecting the environment from chemical pressure.
All the above problems will be addressed in close cooperation with the interested foreign collaborators by information exchange, mutual support in specialist training, and by holding seminars and meetings.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.