Solid Rocket Motor Disposition
The Development of the Pilot-Industrial Technology of Utilization (Destruction) of the Charges of Large-Size Solid Propellant Rocket Motors
Tech Area / Field
- CHE-IND/Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Process Engineering/Chemistry
- ENV-APC/Air Pollution and Control/Environment
- ENV-SPC/Solid Waste Pollution and Control/Environment
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Research Institute of Polimeric Materials, Russia, Perm reg., Perm
- Washington Group International, USA, OH, Cleveland
Project summaryThe submitted project «The development of the pilot-industrial technology of utilization (destruction) of the charges of large-size solid propellant rocket motors » provides for the development of the nozzleless burning-out method, insuring minimal and controlled metering characteristics. All researches carried out within the frameworks of the project are based on the usage of open scientific-technical information.
The project fulfillment will result in the development of scientific and methodical basis of safe technology destruction of large-size missile charges and recommendations on creation of manufacturing process engineering.
The amount of project work to be done may be pided into 10 basic stages:
- Formulation of the optimal composition of aqueous gel to phlegmatize the SRF charges surface;
- Development of the perforated charges loading technology with phlegmatizing compound;
- Development of the design method to provide for minimal and controlled consumption characteristics while destructing the large-size RESF by nozzeleless burning-out technique;
- Working out of standard parameter estimation of different defects on RESF burning-out safety. Creation of strength analysis algorithm taking into account the presence of cracks and defects in the charges;
- Working out of estimation method of the defective RESF tolerance to burning-out disposal;
- Calculation of liquid phase amount for neutralization of combustion products and identification of hydrodynamic injection parameters;
- Development of the technology of combustion products clearing (gaseous, solid, soluble). Simulation of the formation of combustion products cloud during the ejection and the process of the cloud transfer and dissipation;
- Working out of technical and technological documentation on the manufacturing disposal process of RESF;
- Test verification of the technology on large-size RESF;
- Obtaining the initial data on the creation of safe industrial disposal technology of large size solid propellant rocket motor charges.
The technical approach and the methods of the project execution are based on great methodical and practical experience of scientists of FSUE "RIPM" accumulated as a result of formulations working out, technological equipment and setting up of production complexes in the defense industry. The problems connected with the development of the technology of solid propellant safe disposal method will be solved on the basis of the available open information about the state-of-art and the really achieved results in this field in Russia and abroad. In addition, methods of simulation of inpidual technological processes, numerical-analytical and design methods while determining standard parameters of the defective charges utilization, hydrodynamic characteristics of neutralizing solution injection while designing collecting and cleaning devices will be used.
Total amount of works is 20994 man-days. The project duration is 24 months.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.