Metal Forming Optimization on the Basis of Superplasticity
Optimization of Technological Processes of Metals and Alloys Volumetric Forming on the Basis of Controllable Dynamic Superplasticity
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-MPS/Manufacturing, Planning, Processing and Control/Manufacturing Technology
- MAT-ALL/High Performance Metals and Alloys/Materials
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz-Russian Slavonic University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Technische Universität München / Institute of Metal Fonning and Casting, Germany, Garching\nLawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA, CA, Livermore
Project summaryThe purpose of the project is elaboration of rational method for solving technological process optimization problem of producing exact stamping by volumetric forming of metal on the basis of controllable dynamic superplasticity.
Superplastic deforming is modern non-conventional method of hot metal processing by pressure in the special regimes by heated tool for manufacturing exact stamping. Thermomechanical regimes imply maintenance of specific structural, temperature and velocity conditions during plastic forming of metallic materials. The necessary regulation of structure occurs at combined processes of plastic deformation and structural phase transitions at coordinated strain rates. The necessity for technically complex multipass thermomechanical operation of closed-grained structure preparation of a blank before stamping disappears. Existence of structural phase transition during deforming process considerably reduces resistance of metals and alloys for deforming, that is one of qualitative indicator of superplasticity. The standard appraisal of superplasticity phenomenology by large residual deformations of tension can not be used at other kinds of deflected modes (compression and torsion). Transition conditions of materials into superplastic state should have physical contents, in particular, thermodynamic substantiation.
The contemporary level of study on superplastic properties of alloys has mainly character of physical metallurgy, does not reflect phenomenological part of the effect, does not give proved methods for definition of temperature-velocity conditions of the phenomenon. The absence of adequate thermodynamically admissible mathematical models makes unpromising intensive introduction of superplasticity in technological practice of metal processing.
At an industrial enterprise an engineer-technologist for successful use of the phenomenon of superplasticity needs rather simple experimental-analytical method allowing operatively to achieve the planned purposes with the least material and temporary expenses. Used model should contain parameters recording directly from mechanical macroexperiments. Rational mathematical model allows to optimize superplastic forming process control for processed alloy, to obtain significant metal-saving, energetic-force and economic effects, to get stamping with required structure.
For the specified reasons it is necessary to construct uniform scientific conception for studying and using superplasticity effect in technologies with attraction of deeply argued ways and methods.
In the course of the project realization solving the complex of interconnected tasks is provided:
1. Construction of thermodynamic conception for high-temperature deforming processes research of metallic materials in superplastic state.
2. Study of forming laws for industrial alloys at large thermo-viscous-plastic deformations with structural phase transformations.
3. Development of rational method for solving optimization problem of technological process of producing exact stamping by metal volumetric forming on the basis of controllable dynamic superplasticity.
Conducting investigations on an example of aluminum alloys is supposed for accelerated check of methods.
During a number of years the research work on application of metals and alloys superplasticity in industrial technologies has been carried out at the Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University. A group of scientists actively participates in the researches: Candidates of Science, candidates for a doctor's degree, post-graduate students and engineers. There are more than fifty publications, copyright certificates over the problem. This shows profound theoretical and practical preparation of the project participants that allows to judge about ability to solve problems facing to them.
The given project concerns to the categories Technology Development, Applied Research.
The following results will be obtained on the completion of the project:
– General principles on rational models construction for describing thermo-viscous-plastic behavior of metallic materials with structural transformations will be developed and inpidual mathematical models will be given.
– The technique on determining thermomechanical regimes conducive to superplasticity including examples of definition for a number of industrial alloys will be submitted.
– Phase diagrams construction method displaying structure change during thermo-viscous-plastic deforming of alloys will be fulfilled and illustrated.
– Thermodynamic analysis of heat-physics characteristics (thermal capacity etc.) change directly during spread structural phase transition at superplastic forming of materials with concrete examples will be offered.
– Basic principles on resources-saving technologies control designing utilizing superplasticity will be mathematically formulated.
– Technological process control for producing exact stamping in one pass under dynamic superplasticity condition will be optimized by inverse ill-defined problem method.
– Technical documents on experimental technology for manufacturing exact stampings by isothermal closed-die stamping in superplasticity conditions with inpidual control function will be submitted.
The performance of the project will result in new theoretical and technical decisions to be used for development of experimental-analytical methods of study and for application of superplastic properties of metal materials in resource-saving technologies of metal pressure processing for stamping with appointed structure.
In the course of the project performance scientists related to weapon development will be enabled to reorientate their abilities to peace activities.
Taking it into account, we can assert that the realization of the project will promote support of fundamental researches in applied field of the superplasticity mechanics – essentially new technologies of metal treatment – and will allow to involve scientists and “weapon” experts into international scientific community.
At the same time application resource-saving technologies is of significant interest both for the Kyrgyz Republic and for industry of other countries and regions.
Consistent with the scope of activities of the project proposal, suppose cooperation with foreign collaborators:
– information exchange in the course of project implementation;
– provide comments to the technical reports (quarterly, annual, final, etc.), submitted by project participants to the ISTC;
– shared use of certain equipment and test and sample materials;
– cross-checks of results obtained in the course of project implementation;
– testing and evaluation of equipment and technologies, developed in the course of the project;
– participation in technical monitoring of project activities performed by ISTC staff;
– assistance and material support for project participants to join international meetings;
– conduction of joint seminars and workshops.
In this connection the authors of the project invite foreign collaborators to take part in carrying out or supporting the given Project.
Send answer to address: 720000, 44, Kievskaya street, Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University, tel. 996 (3312) 282859. Fax: (3312) 282859. E-mail email@example.com.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.