Seismic Risk for the Chui-River Valley
Estimation of Seismic Risk for the Chui Valley of the Kyrgyz Republic
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
- ENV-SEM/Seismic Monitoring/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz-Russian Slavonic University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Robin's Wood coNsulting, France, Saint-Martin-de-Nigelles\nINGEROP, France, Courbevoie\nGermann Instruments A/S, Denmark, Copenhagen\nAgenzia Nazionale per la Protezione dell'Ambiente, Italy, Rome\nConstruction Technology Laboratories, USA, IL, Skokie
Project summaryThe project objective is to work out seismic risk maps for one of the densely populated regions of the Chui Valley of the Kyrgyz Republic in view of regional seismological conditions of existent buildings for using them in construction sphere and preventing from heavy consequences of strong earthquakes.
The work plan has been worked out on the PDG stage. For this purpose the following works had been fulfilled:
– the detailed analysis of available seismological information for the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic for seismic risk evaluation;
– the approximate analysis of existent building vulnerability;
– the systematization of existent buildings of the Chui Valley according to their constructive schemes;
– the main factors, influenced on possible damage degree from earthquakes have been formulated;
– the methodical directions of seismic risk evaluation had been selected;
– the technical fundamentals of project implementation had been studied.
Work plan has been discussed with project collaborators. As a result of common work the correction of work plan has took place, namely: some separate sections, connected with seismic hazard and substantiation of methodical fundamentals of the seismic vulnerability assessment, have been developed more properly. The development of engineering solutions of the building seismic resistance and account of influence of the ground conditions on possible damage degree from earthquakes have been provided.
For creation of more favorable conditions of the project implementation the leading Institute (Kyrgyz NIIPS) had been replaced on Kyrgyz-Russian Slavonic University (KRSU). On the base of KRSU the specialized laboratory for the seismic risk evaluation has been created. Laboratory includes the scientists and engineers as on a seismology, so on a buildings vulnerability, that has allowed to reduce number of the project participants and has rendered positive influence to use of the project budget. So, as since time of submission of proposal more than 2.5 years have passed and many experts do not work any more in considered area, the staff of inpidual participants was changed. Leading executors of main sections of the project are same.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.