Laser Fullerene-Oxygen Therapy BIOLOFT
Laser Fullerene-Oxygen Therapy
Tech Area / Field
- PHY-OPL/Optics and Lasers/Physics
- MED-DRG/Drug Discovery/Medicine
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Research Institute for Laser Physics, Russia, St Petersburg
- NanoCarbon Research Institute Ltd., Japan, Chiba
Project summaryThe goal of the Project:
The goal of the Project is development of the scientific, technical, physical, chemical and biological fundamentals of development of new methods and reagents for directed photodynamic action of singlet oxygen, produced with the use of photosensitizer on the base of fullerene-containing media onto biological objects: viruses, tumor (cancer) cells, ishemia – reperfusion damage of myocardium and dynamic characteristics of arterial blood vessels.
This work is possible to be started on the background of the earlier carried out by the authors’ team theoretical and experimental studies of the photo-chemical processes of formation of singlet oxygen by interaction of photo-excited fullerenes with the oxygen molecules (ILP) and also the experience of Project authors on successful action of fullrenes onto biological objects (Institute of Influenza, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Institute of Cardiology).
Goals of Project and expected results:
– Analysis of the problem state-of-the-art and of the prospects of application of method of photodynamic action onto biological objects by singlet oxygen, produced with the help of photosensitizers on the base of fullerene-containing media.
– Theoretical and experimental investigations of the process of singlet oxygen production via interaction of oxygen molecules with the photoexcited molecules of fullerenes and fullerene-like materials.
– Experimental investigations of the photo-chemical kinetics (quantum yield, lifetimes, reaction constants) of singlet oxygen production in fullerene-containing media with various aggregate state under lamp and laser illumination.
– Investigation of approaches and development of various methods of generation of singlet oxygen in biological objects:
– by introducing the photosensitizer on the base of water-dissolvable forms of fullerenes into the area of interaction with biological object, and
– by the novel method of singlet oxygen production by irradiation of the solid-phase fullerene-containing element (filters, membranes, fullerene-containing end-tools of laser-optical probes and of the fullerene-containing distributed surfaces), providing the directed action onto biological object without close contact of fullerene-containing object with biological tissue.
– Development and synthesis of the water-dissolvable forms of fullerenes for photosensitizers introduction into the biological tissue.
– Search for the approaches and development of new methods and apparatus for delivery of photosensitizer on the base of fullerenes to biological objects. Development of laser-optical systems and of solid-phase composite fullerene-containing elements (filters, membranes, substrata, sounding end-tools), providing interaction of photoexcited molecules of fullerenes with oxygen molecules and production of singlet oxygen in the zone of addressed irradiation.
– Investigation of processes of singlet oxygen production with the use of photosensitizer on the base of fullerenes in environment of biological objects and liquids (in vitro) with the use of various means fullerene contact with biological objects: by means of fullerenes introduction directly into the biological medium and by means of singlet oxygen production via irradiation of solid-phase fullerene-containing elements.
– Investigation of mechanism of singlet oxygen interaction with biological objects.
– On the base of obtained results and optimization of singlet oxygen production by fullerenes, development of methods of inactivation of shell-type mambrane-containing viruses (viruses of influenza, of hepatitis B and C, of herpes of 1st type, of sincitial-respiratory viruses and of cytomegalovirus).
– Development of processes, providing the deactivation of viruses in biological liquids, including deactivation of viruses in blood, in blood plasma and in preparations on their basis for provision of infectional safety of technological processes and of final products, as well as in blood products, used for production of vaccines and various medical preparations.
– Investigation of processes of penetration of fullerenes into various biotissues and their distribution across cell structures with the purpose of evaluation of fullerene tropism with respect to various biological tissues. Investigation on this basis of the processes of cancer cell destruction under the action of singlet oxygen, produced by photosensitizer on the base of fullerene.
– In vivo experiments on oncology models: a) irradiation of fullerenes in applicatory form (gels, films, liniments), deposited onto surface and easily anatomically available tumors (skin, hypodermic cells, mucous membrane of larynx and of upper respiratory tract) in the mode of traditional photodynamic therapy; b) introduction of laser-optical probes with fullerene-containing end-tools for singlet oxygen generation in the places of localization of tumors of internal organs and laser irradiation of cancer cells, which have adsorbed the fullerene-containing photosensitizer.
– Investigation and evaluation of influence of photodynamic therapy with the use of fullerene-containing materials onto the rate of emphasize of ishemic-reperfusive damage of miocardis and onto the special features of dynamic characteristic of arterial blood vessels.
– Realization of novel ideology of photodynamic effect with the use of zonal local concentration of singlet oxygen in the given place of blood flow on the inserted irradiated fullerene-containing materials, for example, on fullerene layers on the optical waveguide tools and on the surfaces of artificial blood vessels, of water-dissolvable forms of fullerenes for local introduction.
– Photodynamic stimulation of immune reactions of biological objects by singlet oxygen, produced during extra-corporal irradiation of blood, colored by photosensitizer on the base of fullerene-containing compounds or contacting with the solid-phase surface of fullerene-containing material.
As a result of Project fulfillment there will be developed the methods, the preparations and the prototypes of apparata, which will be transferred for the pre-clinic testing.
This Project completely corresponds to the goals of ISTC.
– These are the most advance physical, technical and biological studies, aimed onto creation of methods and preparations for the photodynamic action onto viruses, cancer cells and blood-vessels (ishemic-reperfusive damage of miocardis).
– The Project is to be fulfilled by the creative scientific team of physicists, chemists, biologists and physicians, providing thus the possibility of novel step forward in development of methods and means for deactivation of viruses, treatment of cancer tumors and of miocardis ishemia.
– The results of this Project fulfillment have the commercial potential for medicine. The Project will provide the possibility to the weaponry specialists to take part in the investigations, directed on provision and improvement of humane health. It will help to the international integration of scientists and will improve the scientific potential of Russia in the fields of biology and medicine.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.