Molten-Salt Reactor with Micro-Particle Fuel
Calculational-Theoretical and Design Studies, Preparation of Experimental Works on the Substantiation of the Conceptual Design of Small Power Installation MARS (Autonomous Molten-Salt Reactor with Micro-Particle Fuel)
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-ENG/Reactor Engineering and NPP/Fission Reactors
- FIR-FUE/Reactor Fuels and Fuel Engineering/Fission Reactors
- FIR-MOD/Modelling/Fission Reactors
- FIR-REA/Reactor Concept/Fission Reactors
3 Approved without Funding
Kurchatov Research Center, Russia, Moscow
- Experimental Designing Bureau of Machine Building (OKBM), Russia, N. Novgorod reg., N. Novgorod
- Nuclear Research Institute, Czechia, Rez\nPennsylvania State University / Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, USA, PA, University Park
Project summaryCalculational-theoretical installation of MARS concept:
- Initial calculational-theoretical installation of basic characteristics of a reactor confirming a concept of inner safety;
- Scheduling and preparation for holding an indispensable complex of experimental researches in a installation of serviceability of a composition graphite - salt coolant - construction material;
- Proposals for scheduling of necessary experiments.
1. Program design and initial calculational-theoretical investigations on installation of parameters of a reactor such as MARS (Autonomous Molten- Salt Reactor with Micro-Particle Fuel), including:
- To define of a optimum geometrical sizes and structure core, reflector.
- To define of best values of fuel element charge and fuel enrichment, amount and composition spherical graphite fuel elements, absorb elements, dummy elements and also volumetric share of salt in a core.
- To examine and optimize an expedient and condition of compensation of a burning.
- Optimization of a profile of an energy release in and relevant spectrum of neutrons at a expense of allocation spherical graphite fuel elements, absorb elements and dummy elements into core volume.
2. Development of a preliminary program of experimental researches indispensable on a sectional design stage, on a installation of characteristics NPP MARS, in which one should go into:
- Holding of experimental researches on a installation of serviceability of a combination focus spherical graphite fuel, coolant and construction materials in requirements of performance parameters MARS, including:
- corrosion spherical graphite fuel in a salt coolant;
- corrosion of a construction material;
- behaviour of corrosion products in a coolant;
- definition and optimization of requirements of making of an armor coat on an inner surface of a pressure vessel of a reactor.
3. Development of conditions of triggering of a reactor.
4. Preliminary design studies of NPP.
5. Installation of a concept and preliminary installation of NPP safety.
6. Analysis of alternatives of usage of excesses of a worked out electrical power in a working conditions of a reactor on a stationary value of power (without power control).
7. Calculational-theoretical investigations of a reactor MARS in a composition of power-technological complexes on production of hydrogen and / or to a water desalination.
A tendered design by a basic purpose has holding research works on a installation of a concept MARS, development of a construction NPP, definition of indispensable experiments in a installation of serviceability focus spherical graphite fuel, construction materials, coolant, pressure vessel of a reactor and heat exchangers of a reactor MARS at long campaigns (till 60 years).
A commercially significant total of operations can be a designer and technological documentation for development of a engineering project proposal MARS.
A operation is completed by issue of a designer documentation and account documentation about results of calculated examinations and prepared file of input dates for further usage on different design stages MARS.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.