DEVELOPMENT OF THE TECHNOLOGY OF SWEET POTATO CULTIVATION IN KAZAKHSTAN
DEVELOPMENT OF THE TECHNOLOGY OF SWEET POTATO CULTIVATION UNDER CLIMATIC CONDITIONS OF THE REPUBLIC OF KAZAKHSTAN
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
Limited Liability Partnership Analytical Center Biomedpreparat, Kazakstan, Stepnogorsk
- Limited Liability Partnership BioGeoTech, Kazakstan, Stepnogorsk
- Korean Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology/
- Plant Cell Biotechnology Laboratory, Korea, Taejon
Project summaryThe main objective of the project: the development of the technology of sweet potato cultivation in the farming areas of Northern, Central and Southern Kazakhstan.
The main objectives of the study include:
- Testing of the improved technology of sweet potato production.
- The study of the influence of abiotic factors of climatic conditions to identify potential crop yield of sweet potato at small plot experiment.
- Screening and selection of sweet potato varieties effective for the climatic conditions of the Northern, Central and Southern Kazakhstan.
- Production of an experimental batch of sweet potato on the experimental field plot.
- Development of the bank of promising sweet potato varieties.
The increased interest to using sweet potato is due to its high food quality. Sweet potato is used for the production of flour, starch, environmentally friendly chips, and some other things. Sweet potato is a dietary product, it has antioxidant activity and is applicable to be used in its raw form.
Sweet potato is the seventh in the world food crop that can help solve the problem of food security, since FAO estimates the world population in 2050 will be 9.1 billion. (5 billion - Asia and 1.9 billion –Africa) which will require an increase in energy more than 3 times and 1.7 times increase in food in 2050. It is necessary to acquire a vigorous strategy to address global energy and food security. Therefore sweet potato has been rated as the most suitable technical culture for the production of not only healthy food, but also for biological materials such as starch, bioethanol.
The Republic of Kazakhstan has vast areas of land, allowing to cultivate a culture of sweet potato and to export to sweet potato to nearby populous neighboring countries: China, Korea, India, Vietnam, the Central Asian countries which do not have adequate space for cultivation, but where sweet potato is widespread.
The project identifies the main stages of research, general analytical approaches, methodology and expected results.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.