Molten Salt Fluoride Fuel
Study of Physico-chemical and Electrochemical Properties of the ADTT Fluoride Nuclear Fuel and Foundation of its Reprocessing
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-FUE/Reactor Fuels and Fuel Engineering/Fission Reactors
3 Approved without Funding
NIIAR (Atomic Reactors), Russia, Ulianovsk reg., Dimitrovgrad
Project summaryThe results of work may be employed for experimental development of the closed fuel cycle of the ADTT nuclear power plant operating in the mode of radioactive waste burning and using molten salt fluoride fuel. The project tasks are as follows:
1. Experimental study of physical-chemical and electrochemical properties of nuclear fluoride fuel with plutonium and minor-actinides. (Determination of the limits to actinide fluoride solubility in fuel and its redox potential).
2. Experimental evaluation of plutonium and minor-actinide behavior during reprocessing of the system "molten fuel-liquid alloy".
1. Experimental data on plutonium and minor-actinide fluoride solubility in the ternary mixtures of lithium, beryllium and zirconium fluorides.
2. Experimental data on electrochemical behavior of plutonium redox potential in fluoride melts during pyroelectrochemical reprocessing of molten salt fuel.
3. Experimental data on the separation factors of plutonium and fission products during electrochemical reprocessing.
4. Generalized calculation data on the standard potentials of lanthanides and actinides in fluoride melts.
Potential Participation of Foreign Partners
Discussion of the results, cooperative work in planning of the project.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.