Stem Cells Bank
Creation of the Stem Cells Bank from Placenta and the Umbilical Cords Blood of Newborn Children
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
Antigen, Kazakstan, Almaty reg., Abay
- Kazakh Scientific Center for Quarantine and Zoonotic Diseases, Kazakstan, Almaty
- General BioTechnology, USA, IN, Indianapolis\nNational Institute of Health, Italy, Rome\nAFG Biosolutions, Inc., USA, MD, Germantown
Project summaryThe Purpose of the project is making a stem cells bank, getting from placenta and blood of the newborn children’s umbilical cord. A placenta and the umbilical cords blood are rich in initial hematopoietic stem cells required for successful transplantation to treat different diseases.
Actuality. The using of cellular therapy is more perspective to treat patients, because stem cells are used which is capable to differentiate in blood cells, nerve or muscular cells. The making of the stem cells is required to treat the patients from leukemia, insult, cardiac and hepatic failure. The realization of this project will give the stimulus to develop cellular technology in Kazakhstan. The Advantage of the stem cells bank making is in the following:
· increasing the concentration of stem cells in transplantant, increases its biological value;
· decreasing antigenic property of stem cells during cell cultivation, increases compatibility range of the stem cells and recipients.
Expected results. As a result of execution given project will be received the following results:
· optimum methods of the reception stem cells from placenta and umbilical cord will be designed;
· the methods of cultivation of the stem cells will be designed.
· the bank of the stem cells, getting from blood of the umbilical cord of newborn children will be created.
Meeting ISTC Goals and Objectives. Execution of the project completely answers the purpose and problem ISTC (International Scientific Technical Centre):
· gives a chance for scientists and specialists from Kazakhstan connected with weapon production reorient their own abilities on peace activity;
· integrates the scientists from Kazakhstan in international scientific community.
Volume of Activities. First stage – checking of the samples of placenta and umbilical cords blood on sterility, development of the methods of steam cells separating from placenta and from umbilical cords blood of newborn children.
Second stage – development of cultivation methods of the stem cells separated from umbilical cords blood and placenta.
Third stage – studying of the stem cells antigenic properties during cultivation in vitro, typifying of the stem cells on HLA-antigens, making the stem cells bank.
The Project Participants are enough competent for the problems decision. They have work experience in biological as well as in medical branches of the science. The Project General Manager executed successfully research works for use of the cellular cultures to treat patients from sugar diabetes and cirrhosis of liver. More than a half of project participants are "armoury" specialists. Thereby, this projects realization completely meets the ISTC purposes and problems. All this will allow to found the stem cells bank required for treatment of the different diseases and cellular technologies development in Kazakhstan.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.