Picosecond Range Oscilloscope
Photoelectronic Oscillograph of Stochastic Repeating and Unitary Optical Signals of a Picosecond Range
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
3 Approved without Funding
Belarussian State University / Institute of Applied Physical Problems, Belarus, Minsk
- NIIIT (Pulse Techniques), Russia, Moscow
- Angewandte Mikrosensorik Mikrooptic GMBH, Germany, Saarbrücken
Project summaryThe purpose of the project is creation of a new class of the measuring equipment - universal oscillograph of optical stochastic repeating signals with pikosecond solution in a spectral range 112…1300 nm, with one-quantum sensitivity, and also multichannel strobe oscillograph of single optical signals with the solution of a pikosecond range.
The developed equipment will find application at medical and biological researches, connected to search and specification of new methods of diagnostics of diseases on character chemi-, photo, fluorescence of cells of man; will be useful to the experts in the field of electronics both computer science, chemistry and computer facilities, as in each of listed spheres of activity of the person there is the necessity to register short and supershort (< 1 ns) optical signals of low power.
In RIPT and IAPP experience of work with weak (P < 10 mWt) optical signals of nano- and pikosecond range of duration is saved, which can be used for development and manufacturing oscillograph of optical signals. By us are developed original methods oscillography of optical signals, based on strobe of a photocurrent in the photo multiplier. The photo multiplier allows not only detect a signal, to transform it from optical in electrical, but also simultaneously to strengthen an electrical signal in tens and hundred of millions of time. Each, even separate electron, the leaving photocathode under influence of external radiation, will be transformed in the photo multiplier to an electrical signal, thatя process by systems of the analysis. But in the majority of cases this advantage turns to essential lacks:
a) the photo multiplier is not efficient in conditions background radiation of the photocathode;
b) the design feature of photo multipliers limit the temporary solution at a level of units nanosecond.
For elimination of these lacks we have applied complex strobe of a photocurrent in the photo multiplier: in the input chamber, in electron the multiplier, on an output of the photodetector.
Original method of management by a photocurrent has allowed to realize in our devices of oscillography of optical signals the temporary solution in tens of picoseconds and has supplied serviceability of photo multipliers in conditions of day time light exposure of a working room without darking of an optical input from background radiation at one-electronic sensitivity.
The work within the framework of the offered project will allow to continue researches of methods strobe of a photocurrent in the photo multiplier, to develop and to make universal photoelectronic strobe mixer of photoelectric signals, to create on its basis strobe photoelectronic oscillographs of stochastic repeating and unitary optical signals with the solution up to units of picoseconds.
1) Forces of the experts of a military-industrial complex (RIPT) and experts-collaborators of the military projects (IAPP) will be developed and prepared to manufacture measuring equipment of wide purpose with perfect medical-biological applications - universal supersensitive and superbroadband oscillographs of optical signals.
2) The requirement in such oscillograph with current of time will be commensurable with requirement in oscillographs of electrical signals. It will supply steady employment of the appropriate experts on a commercial basis in manufacture of non-military production.
Potential role foreign collaborators:
- arguing the tasks of the project, evaluation it of expediency;
- involvement in share seminars on consideration of outcomes of researches within the framework of the project.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.