Manufacturing of Ceramic-Polymeric Materials
Technology Development and Pilot Unit Engineering for Deriving of Dielectric and Electro-Conducting Ceramic-Polymer Materials with Optimum Properties and Articles from them for Electronics and Heat Engineering
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-MAT/Engineering Materials/Manufacturing Technology
3 Approved without Funding
Belorussian State Polytechnic Academy, Belarus, Minsk
- Belarussian State Research and Production Powder Metallurgy Concern / Powder Metallurgy Research Institute with Pilot Plant, Belarus, Minsk\nResearch Institute of Impulse Processes with Pilot Production, Belarus, Minsk
- Liverpool John Moores University / School of Engineering and Technology Management, UK, Liverpool\nUniversity of Vienna / Institute of Materials Physics, Austria, Vienna
Project summaryProject goals. Technology development and pilot engineering unit for production of resilient heat-removable dielectrics for electronics as well electroconducting materials for heat-engineering articles on the basis of ceramic powders pre-treated by explosion and reinforced polymeric binders by modification with nanopowders or glass fibres with the purpose of optimisation of structure and of physical-mechanical characteristics. The sampling and properties estimation of obtained ceramic-polymer materials in conformity with international standards.
The heightening of effectiveness and productivity of device and equipment for electronics and heat engineering is impossible without increase of heat-removal intensity from working surfaces of elements. To achieve this requires transition to a principally new quality level of production, which demands technology development of new materials with improved thermal properties.
Ceramic and flexible heat-conducting materials basically used abroad are produced by "BERQUIST" (USA), "KERAFOL" (Germany), "SHIN-ETSU" (Japan). Thermal characteristics of flexible heat-conducting materials are poor (heat conductivity 0,6-3,5 W/мК). The ceramics BN, BeO, AlN, Si3N4, SiC used as a base have sufficiently high thermal characteristics (thermal-conductivity 150-250 W/мК), but either the production is complicated, or it demands the application of toxic beryllium pastes.
Experiment shows that an alternative for flexible heat-conducting insulating materials does not exist at present. The pilot technology developed by the authors makes possible to derive ceramic-polymeric materials on the basis of modified polymers and ceramic powders treated by explosion with improved thermal characteristics compared to analogues of leading foreign firms. The demand for a kindred class of materials is high and makes the subject of the proposed project actual.
The influence of the proposed project on the progress in the field of new materials consists in development of basic principles for synthesis processes of ceramic nanopowders; for mechanisms of structure and properties formation of ceramic-polymeric materials; for manufacturing process of new class of ceramic-polymeric materials with improved thermal properties for the articles of electronics and heat-engineering. The novelty of scientific and technical solutions makes the subject of the proposed project answering to demanded world standards.
The participants in the project are highly skilled experts of Byelorussian state polytechnic academy (BSPA), Research institute of impulse processes with pilot production (RI IP), Research institute of powder metallurgy (RI PM), possessing significant experience in the field of missile materials and on manufacturing composites and ceramic materials for laser technique. 6 publications and 4 patent certificates have been obtained on the subject.
The following results will be obtained by the project:
- procedures for theoretical and experimental synthesis of ceramic powders will be developed, explosive treatment processes will be investigated as well as their influence on physical-mechanical properties of the powders, structure and phase transformation in ceramics produced will be investigated;
- procedures for theoretical and experimental research on polymeric material with interaction with ceramic powders will be developed, the processes for polymeric structure modification and reinforcement of polymers with fibres will be investigated, simulation of composite materials structure will be carried out, structure and properties of polymeric materials will be investigated;
- production processes of ceramic-polymeric materials will be projected and investigated, pilot commercial installation will be engineered and pilot batches of materials for electronics and heat-engineering articles will be produced.
Scientific importance of the results from the project is to expect from: synthesis of high-melting compounds; formation of ceramic powders structure under explosive treatment; modification of polymers with ceramic powders and scientifically confirmed technology for ceramic-polymeric materials production.
Commercial importance of the project consists in competitive production practice of ceramic-polymeric composite materials with improved heat-conductivity and physical-chemical properties and the realisation of a pilot installation for the production of articles for electronics and heat-engineering.
Advantage of the project compared with competitive developments and analogues consists in technology development for: ceramic powders and nanopowders synthesis; explosive treatment of ceramic powders; modification of polymeric matrix with nanopowders; cheap production of ceramic micro- and nanopowders.
Results of the project will be used for peaceful applications in electronics and in heat-engineering branches. Intellectual property protection is guaranteed at the expense of patenting inventors application on project subjects.
Technological development and production of new friction and antifriction materials and specific materials with fillers from metal, ceramic and carbon powders and nanopowders is taken to be in sight on the basis of scientific and experimental results of this project for branches of machine building, instrument engineering and aircraft industry.
With the availability of the great theoretical and experimental background of the institutes involved in this project it will be possible to perform synthesis technology and ceramic powders explosive treatment, polymeric matrix modification and the pilot engineering installation for the production of ceramic-polymeric materials.
The subject of the proposed project is in complete agreement with ISTC Goals and Objectives.
1. The project will provide weapons scientists and engineers, particularly those, who possess knowledge and skills related to missile materials and materials for laser technology, opportunity to redirect their talents to peaceful activity.
2. The project promotes integration of scientists into international scientific community and it will allow to establish scientific and business contacts with colleagues from Europe, USA, Japan, Southern Korea.
3. The results of the project will allow to essentially expand the scope of fundamental knowledge on formation processes of ceramic-polymeric materials and their application for peaceful purposes.
4. The realisation of the project will contribute to solve problems of technological applications connected with electronics and heat-engineering.
5. Drawing of the weapon-scientists into project activities will allow to reinforce the transition to market-based economics responsive to civil needs.
The frame of the project emphasises three years. The project labour input is 398,3 man/months, during the first year - 112,1 man/months, the second year - 127,0 man/months, the third - 159,2 man/months.
The solution of three interconnected tasks implemented sequentially, is considered in the project.
Task 1. Synthesis of ceramic powders and nanopowders. Explosive treatment of ceramic powders with the aim to control particles shape, structure and properties of ceramics. Experimental research and development of procedures.
Task 2. Investigation of physical-chemical processes of interaction of a ceramic powder with viscous-plastic medium of polymeric binder. Polymeric reinforcement by fibres and polymeric structure modification by nanopowders. Experimental research and development of procedures.
Task 3. Development of manufacturing processes for ceramic-polymeric composite materials with improved heat-conductivity. Technology development and creation of pilot installation for production of resilient heat-removable insulating pads for electronics and flexible heating elements for heat-engineering.
Role of the participating institutions for the solution of the tasks:
BSPA – research on processes:
- synthesis and explosive treatment of ceramic powders and nanopowders;
- interactions of ceramic powders and polymers,
- reinforcement of polymers with fibres and modification of polymers by nanopowders
and also pilot installation for engineering production of ceramic-polymeric materials;
RI IP – development of explosive treatment technology for ceramic powders;
RI PM - research on structure and properties of ceramic powders, polymeric and ceramic-polymeric materials.
During project implementation close collaboration will be realised in form of:
- scientific and technical information and exchange of findings of the investigations;
- shared investigations and use of equipment for improvement of technology for ceramic-polymeric materials production;
- shared technological tests and serviceability evaluation of the equipment;
- assistance for project participants to join international meetings;
- conduction of joint symposiums, conferences and seminars;
- participating in technical monitoring of project activities performed by ISTC staff.
Technical approach to task solution in the frame of the project is based on results of investigations concerning the application of ceramic powders synthesis and their explosive treatment and the polymer modification and reinforcement obtained by project authors. Know-how in proposed technology consists in processes development of ceramic powders explosive treatment and polymer modification with nanopowders for ceramic-polymeric materials design.
Investigations methodology consists in use of surface, carbide-thermal and self-spreading high-temperature (SSHT) syntheses for ceramic powders production, separate synthesis of nanopowders with laser and magnetron spraying, explosive treatment of ceramic powders and investigation procedures for structure and properties of ceramic materials, modification and reinforcement methods of polymer with nanopowders and fibres and procedures for structural investigations, mathematical modeling and computer simulation methods of ceramic-polymeric material and investigation of structure and properties of polymer material.
Used known methods and equipment will be advanced by authors to fit specific solutions of the tasks of the project. Characteristics of the obtained materials will be checked by standard techniques with collaborators.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.