Producing of Betta -Carotene
Development of the Technology of Microbiological Synthesis Aiming at Simultaneous Producing of Phospholipides and Betta-Carotene to be Used in Pharmacology.
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Immunological Engineering, Russia, Moscow reg., Lyubuchany
- State Research Institute of Biological Instrument-Making, Russia, Moscow\nInstitute of Microbiology, Russia, Moscow
Project summaryProspects of industrial production and use of biolipids have attracted attention of researchers for a long time. Fat provision necessary for nourishment is a socially important problem of national economy. Special attention in food ration is given to vegetable oils, due to their high biological activity and food value, presence of essential acids, phospholipids, tocopherols, sterols and other compounds.
Essential eicosopolyenic acids are necessary building components of phospholipids of membranes of living cells. In organism they act as universal precursors of a large number of biologically active compounds, including prostaglandins, leicotriens, and other intensive intracellular mediators of hormonal action. Many laboratories of the world have intensive work in progress on revealing possibility of cosmeticological and medical application of liposome as a means for supplying various medicinal preparations to certain organs and tissue.
It is important not only to search for non-traditional sources of biolipids, but to produce lipids of certain composition, in particular, those containing essential fatty acids and phosphor-lipids. Moreover, vegetable lipids and their inpidual fractions (phosphatides and fatty acids) represent very scarce products which require not only significant quantities of vegetable raw material but capital investments.
At present there is a real possibility to replace vegetable oils with lipids originated from microbes, using also mycelium fungi. The growing interest in fungi lipids arid significance of the problem are caused by a number of reasons. Mycelium fungi are characterized by the type of lipids, similar to vegetable oils or lipids of some animal tissues in composition of fatty acids (including irreplaceable ones), and also in content of certain lipid classes (phospholipids, cerebrosides). Besides, in terms of lipid content in biomass, they are not inferior to generally recognized oil sources such as seeds and flesh of oil plants. Objective of the project is to develop the mode of production of valuable phospholipids (in particular phosphatidylcholine) and other biologically active compounds using new sources of microbiological origin.
The results expected
- We will reveal the possibility of the simultaneous synthesis of a complex of the lipid compositions, having pharmacological activity and being medicinal-biological promising materials, by lower mycelious fungi.
- We will elaborate the technology of directional microbiological synthesis with the aim of getting lipid compositions (lecithin and b-carotene), certified for building preparations of medicinal, cosmetological and veterinary purposes.
- We will offer economically justified biotechnology of getting lecithin and b-carotene, allowing to use the existing capacities of protein-vitamin concentrate plants.
Technical Approach and Methodology
- Screening of strains of microorganisms in order to select perspective producers is planned to be carried out using and electrophoresis. Method of subraerget cultivation in liquid media of various composition will be used to work out optimal conditions.
- Extraction and purification of target products will be fulfilled by means of liquid chrornatography.
- Appreciation of target products purity, their testing as components of medicinal preparations will be carried out by methods stipulated by the State Committee for Pharmacopoeia of the Russian Federation.
- Scaling of the process of target products accumulation and working out of conditions of cultivating are supposed to be held in 75-litre fermenter, working volume-50 litres.
Potential role of foreign collaborators
It is planned under the project to carry out studies in collaboration with foreign partners, to exchange the information received under the project, to prepare joint publications, to exchange samples required for research, to make visits to laboratories of collaborators aiming at carrying out the works under the project, to conduct scientific seminars at the Institute of Engineering Immunology with the participation of collaborators.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.