Bacteriophages against relatively pathogen bacteria
Specific Bacteriophages for Identification, Treatment and Prophylactic of Relatively Pathogen Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Klebsiella and Enterobacter
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
Biochimfarm Joint Stock Company, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Universitat de Barcelona, Spain, Barcelona\nUniversity of Manitoba / Faculty of Medicine / Health Science Centre, Canada, MB, Winnipeg\nUS Naval Academy, USA, MD, Annapolis\nWinthrop-University Hospital, USA, NY, Long Island City\nKochi University, Japan, Kochi
Project summaryThe aim of this project is to identify, select and examination of highly specific Bacteriophages clones for treatment and prophylactic of infection caused by antibiotic resistant relatively pathogen bacteria Klebsiella and Enterobacter.
The role of relatively pathogen microorganisms of Enterobacteriaceae is rising during last decades as a cause of Human pathology. Different species of relatively pathogen bacteria so as Klebsiella and Enterobacter are considered as ethyological factor of acute intestinal infection, pyo-septical processes, postoperative infections and dysbacteriosis.
Appearance of antibiotic resistant strain of relatively pathogen bacteria is an important problem in treatment and control of nosocomial infections. It must be mentioned that specific Bacteriophages are active to antibiotic resistant strains of relatively pathogen bacteria. So, it is important issue to elaborate bacterial remedies for exact and rapid identification of such strains, treatment and prophylactic of infections caused be relatively pathogen bacteria.
In the frame of this project there will be performed identification, selection, examination and construction of specific Bacteriophages clones to make highly purified remedies for treatment, diagnostic and prophylactic of infection caused by relatively pathogen antibiotic resistant bacteria Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoka and Enterobacter aerogenes.
In the Tbilisi Eliava Institute of Bacteriophage, Microbiology and Virology since its creation works on fundamental issues of construction of different treatment, diagnostic and prophylactic Bacteriophage remedies.
Authors of this project are also worked on investigation of Bacteriophages against intestinal bacteria group during last 50 years. There was created many different schemes of phage typing. In 90th for the first time in former Soviet Union were received authorship (invention) certificates on construction of some Klebsiella and Enterobacter Bacteriophage clones.
Project will be implemented in “Biochempharm” Inc., which was formed on the basis of former manufacturing department of Tbilisi Eliava Institute of Bacteriophage, Microbiology and Virology. Staff of the project has theoretical and practical experience in microbiology, Bacteriophage and medicine. They had publicized scientific articles in these fields. Project is belongs to fundamental and applied investigations and also to elaboration and demonstration of technology.
The presumable results of project will be:
1. Collection and identification of Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoka and Enterobacter aerogenes strains collected from ill and carrier persons from different clinics.
2. Identification and selection of specific Bacteriophage clones, examination of activity and lisis stability. Examination identified clone’s activity diapason.
3. Examination of biological and taxonomic properties of identified Bacteriophage strains, morphology of negative strains, nucleocapsid structure.
4. Examination of diagnostic abilities of strains.
5. Elaboration of highly effective treatment and prophylactic and also highly specific diagnostic Bacteriophage strains against antibiotic resistant relatively pathogen microbes Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoka and Enterobacter aerogenes.
6. Development of manufacturing technologies and manufacturing of Bacteriophage remedies against antibiotic resistant relatively pathogen bacteria Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoka and Enterobacter aerogenes.
Practical implementation of project results will allow us to rapidly identify cause of infection and elaborate proper tactic of treatment against nosocomial infections, pyo-inflamatory processes etc. and will allow reaching concrete social and economic effects.
Collaborators prove their wish to collaborate, exchange of information, discuss results, consult, take part in conferences, and exchange stuff in the frame of this project.
In project realization process will be implemented methods listed below:
- Identification of morphologic, strain, biochemical and serologic properties of bacterial strains.
- Identification and selection of Bacteriophage, derivation of clean lines of phage with ultra fractionation.
- Electron microscopic examination of capsules.
- Examination of breeding, activity diapason, specificity.
- Examination of physical and chemical factors of phage survivability, lisis resistance, phage titre accrual, derivation of antiphage serum.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.