Control of Human Environment: an Information/Analytical Support System for Territorial Sanitary and Epidemiological Inspection, Public Health, and Nature Management Services in Areas (Towns) where Industries Hazardous to Health or Safety are Located.
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MIN/Monitoring and Instrumentation/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
A.I. Burnazyan Federal Medical and Biophysical Center, Russia, Moscow
- Electrostalsky Machine Building Plant (EMZ), Russia, Moscow reg., Elektrostal
- CEA / IPSN (Institut de Protection et Sûreté Nucléaire), France, Fontenay aux Roses\nHarvard University, USA, MA, Cambridge\nLawrence Livermore National Laboratory / Dose Reconstruction Program (Former Rick Science Center), USA, CA, Livermore
Project summaryThe proposed information/analytical support system (IASS) for environmental control at localities where nuclear power-generating and military-industrial facilities are installed has been designed to assist in collecting and analyzing the data, and making correct decisions as to the procedures to be followed in fluid situations normally assessed using the relevant information received from the territorial (departmental) services dealing with sanitary and epidemiological inspection, public health, environment control and emergencies (e.g., when civil defense is involved). The backbone of the IASS system is made up of the so-called ecological certificates of enterprises, certificates of safety of important, potentially hazardous, installations, the data received from local ecological and hygienic monitoring stations as well as the statistical medico-demographic and social-economic accounts. The IASS can perform an all-out evaluation of various components of the natural environment and health of the population, compute the values of probable environmental and social-demographic damages caused by normal operation of the industrial facilities, and predict a risk to the public health in the event of some abnormal situation. In addition, it formulates proposals on optimizing the ecological situation under the normal conditions and provides an information-analytical support to the services planning the measures aimed at protecting the population of the territory in case of emergency. To substantiate the plans of medical-sanitary protective measures, the analysis of the situation is performed based on many criteria.
The universal software package of the IASS has special mechanisms to adapt the system to a particular purpose with an allowance made for:
a) the ecologo-hygienic characteristics of the territory being monitored;
b) the type of prevailing economic (business) activity;
c) the specific distribution of population in the territory;
d) the complex of hazardous ecological factors vital to the human environment safety.
Upon completion of the Project, the results of the work shall be verified against the following list:
- development of the methods and techniques used for comprehensive assessment of environmental degradation in the territory of an administrative district, taking into account the public health component;
- accumulation of a representative pool of data covering many years of observations and provision of an exhaustive ecologo-hygienic and medico-demographic description of the area around the town of Elektrostal in Moscow region;
- appraisal of the situation in a whole region and in its inpidual zones. Identification of ecologically unsafe sectors of the territory and assessment of the contributions made by the major sources of pollutants into the predicted total environmental damage;
- establishment of a computer-aided information/analytical support system for territorial sanitary and epidemiological inspection, public health and nature protection services, taking into account various aspects of environmental safety of the population in an administrative district (town) and adapted to the conditions of the own of Elektrostal in Moscow region;
- development, on the basis of the typical schemes of ecologo-economic analysis of the situation and nature protection, of suitable mathematical methods and algorithms for making administrative decisions.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.