Hydro-Litho-Sphere Around Kara-Balty Mining Complex
Monitoring, Mathematic Migration Modeling, Development of Methodology of Hydro-Litho-Sphere Pollution Sources Isolation Concerning Heavy Metals and Rehabilitation of Hydro-Litho-Sphere Around Ore Processing Combine of Kara-Baltinsk
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Rudneva V Ya
Federal State Enterprise – Russian Research Institute for Integrated Water Management and Protection, Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Ekaterinburg
- Institute of Physics, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek\nVNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya / Departament d'Enginyeria Quimica, Spain, Barcelona\nWismuth GmbH, Germany, Chemnitz\nCEA / DAM, France, Paris
Project summaryMain goal of the project is preparation of recommendations on rehabilitation and protection of underground and surface waters and territories of the mining enterprise and adjacent land, subjected to the wastes of the Kara-Balta Mining Combine (KBMC). Following the earlier data (the ISTC projects # KR-072, # KR-715) and special additional researches a package of rehabilitation methods will be formulated under this proposed project for protection of entities of KBMC and adjacent territories from chemical compositions of elements as Se, Cr, Pb, Cd, Zn, Mo, Fe, Co, As, Sb.
For this purpose it is necessary to solve the following tasks:
- Estimate pollution of underground waters, of tail disposal’s and adjacent territories with heavy metals.
- Determine a degree of existed and predicted spreading of heavy metals from poly-metal ore wastes of uranium production in underground waters and in adjacent territories with dust transport.
- Estimate redistribution of heavy metal ions in entities of the environment.
- Work out man-caused (technogenic) and technological methods of polluted territories rehabilitation and protection, localization and isolation of pollution centers.
The earlier laboratory model researches, carried out in monitoring points, allowed estimate separate migration processes value in a total process of isotopes redistribution in a profile of object under study. This predetermined a choice of conditions for heavy metals ions decrease in the investigated object with consequent their removing, that is approved in some patents of Russian Federation.
For description of a process of heavy metals distribution in a vadose zone the created in RFNC-VNIITF numerical method MIF will be used. The method intends for solution of three-dimensional equations of migration and filtration on arbitrary hexahedral grids. It comprises a set of conservative difference schemes, which allow obtaining monotone solutions of different tasks, taking into account different initial and boundary conditions.
The previous positive author΄s experience concerning the isolation of solid wastes and ores of Nizhniy Tagyl Metallurgical Industrial Complex from the adjacent territory and groundwater gives us confidence to fulfill the tasks given in the Project.
The following main results are expected to be obtained at the project realization:
- Man-caused methods and technological processes of rehabilitation and protection of polluted territories, localization and isolation of pollution centers.
- Mathematical models of wind erosion physical processes of the tail disposal surface and pollutions transport from the tail disposal with underground waters will be built, taking into account their sorption migration in multi-component solutions through the tail disposal foundation.
- Package of recommendations will be developed on use of KBMC territory for enterprises not connected with military-industrial complex.
The project implementation will promote a solution of a large-scale problem – rehabilitation of territories of former enterprises of the Kyrgyz Republic on uranium extraction and processing; preparation and creation of working places on rehabilitated territories and at newly formed enterprises. The obtained in the course of the project implementation results will be used for similar work at other objects connected with former extraction and processing of uranium raw materials, as for example, in Mailuu-Suu or Min-Kush. The execution of the project initiates manpower training for rehabilitation and uranium conversion work as well as for experience exchange with other teams, including foreign organizations.
Scope of activities on the project is characterized by solution of the following tasks:
- Study of library stocks and published materials on the project theme.
- Field operations.
- Study of changes of main toxic ingredients concentrations in the matter of the tail disposal and adjacent territories depending of a depth of their occurrence.
- Study of space-temporal variations of content of main ecologically important ingredients in underground waters of a zone of their pollution.
- Mathematical modeling of wind erosion physical processes of the tail disposal surface.
- Work out of technological solutions on localization and creation of protective barriers against heavy metals distribution in hydro-lithosphere with its consequent rehabilitation.
- Work out of recommendations for use of studied objects in peaceful purposes.
Role of foreign collaborators:
- Work out of proposals on Work plan;
- Sharing information in the course of the project implementation;
- Joint reviewing of technical reports;
- Hold meetings, symposia, workshops, consultations, etc.;
- Check-up results with use independent methods and equipment;
- Joint organization of Web-site in the INTERNET;
- Participation in technical testing in sites of the project implementation.
Technical approach and methodology:
- Space-temporal variations of content of main ecologically important ingredients in underground waters will be studied in the areas of formation, transit, and discharge of polluted by the tail disposal waters.
- Study of man-caused aerosols transference from the tail disposal surface to adjacent territories will be implemented using after adjustment for the project purposes of sedimentation method.
- For investigation of scales of toxic ingredients intersoil migration in the matter of the tail disposal and adjacent territories the boreholes will be drilled with consequent analyses of cores matter to obtain initial data (concentration gradients) for mathematical modeling of toxic materials transference from the tail disposal. The analysis of cores samples will allow study toxic materials distribution in protective layer of the tail disposal and defining “transparency coefficient” of the latter for every of the studied toxins.
- Mathematical modeling of investigated processes will allow:
- creation of mathematical geomigration model of pollutions transference in underground waters taking into account sorption model of heavy metals migration in multi-component solutions through the tail disposal foundation;
- estimation of wind erosion scale of the tail disposal surface.
To determine heavy metals contents in soils, natural waters, and man-caused solutions the method of atomic spectroscopy will be used on the basis of spectral plasma excitation source.
Experimental data processing will be made on PC with use of appropriate standard and developed during the project implementation programs.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.