Air Barriers for Water Supply Systems
Development of the New Technology of Air-barrier Unit Providing Safe Functioning of the Water-supply System of Nuclear, Hydro and Thermoelectric Power Plants
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Tbilisi Scientific-Research Specialized Firm of Water Supply, Sewerage System, Hydrogeology and Hydrotechnical Construction (TbilVODGEO), Georgia, Tbilisi
- Northeastern University, USA, MA, Boston\nClean Energy Co. Ltd, USA, OH, Cleveland
Project summaryThe project considers:
- Technology of air- barrier complex (ABU);
- Submarine perforated pipeline;
- Release of air jet at subsonic speed;
- Produce of air screen by rising air-bubble jets;
- Interaction with reflecting skimmer wall;
- Produce of strong backward (reverse) flows on the surface, which drives away from intakes attracted substances. This is essential for every kind of intakes and especially for those of
Nuclear Power Plant, Hydro Power Plant and Thermoelectric Power Plant. At the same time the air screen prevents fishes from getting into the pumps and is ecologically effective measure (100% fish protection against getting them into power units); ABU is effective for provision of safe work of the locks of surface outlets as far as entirely excludes possibility of their wedging, because ABU prevents ice-floe from getting into the dam outlet of Hydro Power Plant (HPP) during spring water-flood waves on the river, thus defending dam from destruction, but under the dam excludes destructive consequence of free wave passing.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.