Complex Survey of Aral Sea Region
The Complex Approach in the Investigation of the Aral Sea Basin Environment in Kazakstan
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Kazakh National University / Center of Physical and Chemical Methods of Analysis, Kazakstan, Almaty
- The Republican Government Enterprise on the basic of economic control rights “Research Institute for Biological Safety Problems” , Kazakstan, Gvardeiski
- Sandia National Laboratories, USA, NM, Albuquerque\nInstituto de Soldadura e Qualidade / Environmental Head Technological Center, Portugal, Oeiras\nTokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, Tokyo\nMiljo & Energi, Denmark, Roskilde\nUniversity of Plymouth, Department of Environment Science, UK, Devonshire, Plymouth\nUniversity College London, UK, London\nMyongji University / Semiconductor Technology Center, Korea, Yongin City
Project summaryIt has been gradually very difficult to keep the Aral sea as healthy ecosystem. The cause was to use ground and water resources against the providence of nature during a number of decades. The water area of the Aral sea shrunk in the large extent. And the marked reduction of water stream in the deltas of rivers resulted in the immense loss of variable aqua-marsh territories and streams of the delta, so that the area has turned into desert. It is necessary to note that these territories are also subject to the influence of industries of mining, chemical, steel, etc., which leaded to the contamination of heavy metals and other toxic substances carrying pernicious effects in all area of the Aral sea basin.
As various factors listed above are relating to the problem of the Aral sea complicatedly in different degree, it is not so easy to create the system that allows to reducing the destruction of healthy ecosystem in the Aral sea basin.
In order to make such a system, at first it should be realized to investigate physical and chemical diagnostics for soils, water and plants in the Aral sea basin, that is;
- Determination of the characteristics of soils , water and plants and creation of a data bank on the results of physical and chemical inspections for samples taken from the pool of the Aral sea,
- Development of technologies for restoring and stabilizing the fertility of infringed grounds in the Aral sea basin,
- Creation of ecological outlook for young people and preparation of the experts professionally oriented to a solution of practical problems in the Aral sea Basin,
- Development of ecological measures to maintain the viability of population in the Aral sea region.
- Development of a geographical information ana mapping system, based on the data bank of the contamination sources in the Aral sea basin.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.