Optical Control of Nuclear Materials
Development of Methods for Creation and Registration of Unique Recognizable Optical Images for Nuclear Material Control
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-NSS/Nuclear Safety and Safeguarding/Fission Reactors
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Kulikov G G
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA, CA, Livermore
Project summaryThe purpose of the project is the development of methods and means for creation of unique recognizable optical images of separate parts of controllable objects and their automatic recognition, applicable for control of nuclear materials in safeguard systems of nuclear objects and maintenance of warranties of non-proliferation of nuclear materials.
The objects of development on project are:
- non-reproducible optical identifiable label of surface of controllable objects,
- non-reproducible optical seals and stamps,
- hardware and software for automatic registration and recognition of unique optical images of above-stated objects of development.
The technical decisions known on present times and used on practices have the separate defects:
- do not provide genuine uniqueness and non-reproducibility of their characteristics, replaceable on uniqueness of their numbering (relates to wide used standard seals, for example, E-cup seal and etc.);
- are characterized by significant technological and technical complexity of realization, that limits sphere of their practical use (relates to optical seals of type "Cobra" and etc.);
- do not provide operative control (at use of conventional procedures of laboratory control on photos of separate sites of surface) and do not exclude the influence of the subjective factors.
The main stop in technical approach will be made on development of technologically simple methods of creation (or use) of non-reproducible optical labels, scales, stamps and development of hardware and specialized software for their automatic recognition in optimized structure, oriented on opportunity of the most wide and mass commercial use.
Participation of foreign collaborators is desirable and necessary for:
- specification of tasks and separate technical requirements to conducted on project developments for conditions of potential market of consumption of their countries and countries of world (global) community,
- association of scientific and technical efforts of experts, engaged in problems soluble on project,
- practical introduction of results of work on projects (particular practically significant ways, technology, methods, separate technical decisions, algorithms and specialized software).
In case of successful realization project will open the additional opportunities for further perfection of hardware of safeguard systems of nuclear objects and maintenance of warranties of non-proliferation of nuclear materials in parts of transition to completely automated systems and increasing of level of reliability.
Besides, developed engineering and approaches can find the most wide application for check by safety and integrity of objects at their operations, transportation and storage, for example, at custom-export control, transport carriages, in medicine (for sealing up poisons and drugs) and etc.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.