Superconducting RF Cavities Manufacturing without Welding
Study of Technological Capabilities of Manufacture of Weldless Superconducting RF Cavities with TESLA-shape based on the High Te Films onto the Copper Shells by Using the Resource Saving Technology without Wastes
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
3 Approved without Funding
Institute for High Energy Physics (IHEP), Russia, Moscow reg., Protvino
- State Enterprise "Polymetal" Moscow Plant, Russia, Moscow\nVNIIKhT (Chemical Technology), Russia, Moscow
- Fermilab (Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory), USA, IL, Batavia\nDESY, Germany, Hamburg\nThomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility, USA, VA, Newport News
Project summaryThe Purpose of the Project: is to study technological possibilities of manufacturing the superconducting RF cavities of TESLA-shape based on high temperature superconducting materials spread on the copper surface by means of magnetron sputtering.
The unique complex of experimental & technological equipment allows us to develop the work on magnetron sputtering of the new perspective materials onto the cavity copper shells with complicated form without welds.
Copper shell of TESLA-shape cavity is carried-out by means of the galvanoplastic forming method, superconducting film from High Tc ceramics is covered by means of planar and axial magnetron sputtering. High Tc ceramics for this technology is developed jointly with the institutions participating in this Project.
· Theoretically potentialities of accelerating fields increasing is since 40 МV/m (Nb) up to 400 MV/m (High Tc /Cu) . We can see a possible profit in accelerating field value and consequently in cost of specific energy accelerator project at the expense of the accelerator length decrease.
· The complex of the fundamental investigations of the emission properties (field emission, secondary, acoustic and exoelectron emissions) for High Tc film material with goal suppression of the emission effects in superconducting accelerating cavities.
· Perfection of the experimental & technological equipment complex for manufacture and study superconducting accelerating cavities on the base film material.
· Development of the resource saving technology without wastes for the superconducting accelerating RF cavities based on High Tc film sputtered on the copper shells. This technology does not use turning, welding, soldering.
· Application of the our scientist professional knowledge and skill, took part earlier in war theme researches for training of young scientists in the field of RF superconductivity at the accelerating technique.
International Collaboration Role:
· Exchange of scientific and technical information and experience, design of the collaboration patents and author certificates.
· Participation in the collaboration and International Workshops and Conferences.
· Assistance in the purchase of the deficit equipment.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.