Renewable Energy Sources
Energy Saving Power Supply System for Autonomous Objects
Tech Area / Field
- NNE-MEC/Miscellaneous Energy Conversion/Non-Nuclear Energy
3 Approved without Funding
Moscow Power Engineering Institute, Russia, Moscow
- Graz University of Technology / Institute of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, Austria, Graz\nUniversite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres / Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Canada, QC, Trois-Rivieres\nGeneral Electric Company / Global Research Center, USA, NY, Niskayuna
Project summaryObjective of the project. The objective of this project is the creation and development of the renewable sources based autonomous power system of the civilian and special purposes, that is one of the urgent tasks of the energy-saving problem. This project is aimed at investigating the possibility of using solar energy.
Current status of research. Increasing of energy intensity of production and the number of equipment involved in production processes and in household use as well as the steady increase in energy prices are major factors, amplifying the importance of the issue of energy-saving. There is no universal energy saving technique, but utilization on renewable power sources (water, wind, solar etc.) for this purpose can help us to take a breakthrough in energy-saving. Besides, necessity to use electricity from environmentally friendly sources of electric power is posed by increasing emissions of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, violation of the ecology caused by using of conventional power sources (coal, gas, oil), creation of large reservoirs for hydropower and other environmental hazards.
One of the most important and perspective ways is the use of solar energy.
Effect of the proposed project on the progress in this field. Grown of photovoltaic elements production, in past three years is record-breaking. It’s promoted of relatively favorable external market conditions and the revival of production in various sectors of economics of Russia which are used solar energy.
Competence of the participants of the project in this field. Staff executing the work know how to solve the problem, has the means, expertise and experience in dealing with such problems.
Expected Results and Their Application. The proposed project belongs to the following categories of technology development: the development of technology.
Obtained result, will ensure uninterrupted power supply of users, reduce the cost of laying power lines and electrical equipment which is necessary to connect to the system and improve the ecological balance of environment.
The project compliance to objectives of ISTC. Since the specialists, taking part in this project, have knowledge in the area of weapons of mass destruction, and the project has the exceptionally peaceful orientation, then this project quite corresponds to objectives of ISTC. Also the compliance to this objectives is achieved by planned wide involvement (attraction) of scientists from organizations-participants in the global scientific community by means of presentation of information about this project at the international conferences and seminars.
Data on the amount of work. Following tasks will be completed in project:
- investigation and calculation of solar radiation resources in the regions of Russia with lack of energy (for example in Rostov Region) at different periods of time
- analysis of special literature on the current state and prospects for the use of power electronics with renewable energy sources
- selection and description of the structure of an energy-saving power supply the system with renewable energy sources (solar electrical installations and heat pumps)
- development of special mathematical and informational support and project software for simulation of an energy-saving power supply system with renewable energy sources (solar electrical installations and heat pumps)
- development of algorithms for calculating the electrical power and lighting loads
- selection of power equipment for power and heat supplying of autonomous consumers
- development of circuit solutions for DC/DC converters
- development of circuit solutions for DC/AC converters
- selection of switchgear for the system with photovoltaic converters
- development of circuit solutions for microcontroller based control system
- development of circuits for power and heat supplying using solar photovoltaic converters and heat pumps
- simulation of operating of DC/DC converters with renewable energy sources
- simulation of various operating modes of DC/AC converters
- creating of the DC/DC converter prototype with control system
- creating of the DC/AC converter prototype with control system
- debugging of control algorithms
The roles of foreign collaborators. Prof. D.Ing. Günter Grampp, the research fellow of the Institute of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry (Graz, Austria) desired to serve collaborator of the expressed project. This scientist is willing to cooperate with us according to a letter dated 03.03.2009.
Technical approaches and methodology. The special properties of the developed autonomous power supply systems will be achieved through:
- the development, validation and use of mathematical, information and software tools to assess the resources of solar radiation at any point of Russia in different periods of time;
- the scientific feasibility of the methods for determining the electrical and thermal loads of energy-saving consumers, backed by a set of rules for the design and construction, and the Moscow City building codes;
- the development of methods and algorithms for selecting the optimal configuration of power systems;
- the optimization of parameters and operating modes of the main converters (dc/dc converters, stand alone inverters; switching equipment of the system with photovoltaic converters), with using the advances of power electronics in the field of creation of fully controlled, high-speed power electronic switches, which will increase the efficiency of power consumption by means of increasing the power factor;
- the analysis of research results of power and technical-economic indicators of power systems.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.