Agricultural Biopreparation with Double Effect
Elaboration of Production of New Generation’s Biopreparations Promoting the Rise of Ecologically Pure Harvest, Effective Protection from the External Stresses, Phytopatogrens and Pest-Insects
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-PPR/Plant Protection/Agriculture
- BIO-IND/Industrial Biotechnology/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
Center for Coordination and Implementation of Scientific, Technological and Socio-Economic Projects, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Scientific Research Center of Agricultural Biotechnology, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Edward Shevarnadze Foundation (Democracy and Revival), USA, CA, San Francisco
Project summaryCurrently important role in agricultural production is assigned to using of new biological preparations instead of chemically synthesized ones. Bio-preparations presented in the project are produced by purely biological methods from biological systems. They are safe for people and animals.
Purpose of the project is to increase biological production of perennial and one-year agricultural crops, as well as their protection from stress factors by use of bio-stimulators that in turn promotes to ousting of herbicides and pesticides from agricultural sector.
First time in Georgia, we have isolated from plants’ rizzo-sphere Trichodermas (Trichoderma-lignorum and Trichoderma-konigal). These are fungi-antagonists that are able to control actively many plant diseases. Preliminary tests showed that they can be successfully used for control of fungal diseases (Phyzarios, Verticilios, etc.). We identified 230 varieties of fungi. The project foresees to continue work with Trichodermas to create more efficient strains, as well as isolate other fungi-antagonists from rizzo-sphere and insects.
On the base of researches we plan development of bio-stimulators of new generation. Their double effect will be as follows:
1. Increasing of biological production by reduction using of pesticides by 40% in agricultural sector.
2. Plant protection from external stresses (drought, salination, etc.)
The main obstacle for increasing of endurance of agricultural crops to external tresses is lack of knowledge of major mechanisms of stress damages. With this regard, the project foresees both study of factors of increasing of plants’ endurance towards external stresses and detailed research of physical and mechanical mechanisms of stress-endurance and stress-sensitivity of agricultural crops on sub-molecular level. Great attention will be paid to determination of initial damage places in plants that take place as a result of different stress-factors. The test equipment gives possibility to analyze and detect the places of initial damage in chains of electric transportation of plants, as well as identify small quantity of biologically active materials, etc.
We pay great attention to work with antagonists existing under natural conditions that can easily be used as agents of biological protection. They have huge potential in control of both pathogens of agricultural crops in general and weed. Therefore, we plan to work on creation of productive high virulent strains that are antagonists of entomopathogenic bacteria Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT.). The preparations belonging to this group of bacteria are characterized by range of effect on different pests. However, many bio-preparations produced from the above-mentioned BT have their “weak spot” – they have low endurance towards sun energy. In the course of creation of new forms of preparations, we’ll particularly work on their stabilization against sun radiation. With this regard, we plan to develop photo-stabilizing protection of BT using Diatomiths. Therefore, we’ll create new forms of photo-resistant preparations for pest control.
The project belongs to the category of practical research.
Anticipated results of the project are as follows:
1. Isolation of new species of fungi from rizzo-sphere and insects; study of their pathogeneses and toxicity in relation to seeds and shoots of one-year crops; creation of new generation of bio-stimulators on their base and on the base of renewed strains of Trichodermas.
2. Creation of new forms of preparations (photo-resistant derived virulent BT) using Diatomiths.
3. Determination of the most weak spots in electric-transportation systems of plants; elaboration of their rehabilitation mechanisms.
4. Identification of the role of biologically active materials for formation of plants adaptation to biotic and abiotic stresses.
5. Getting of initial data for elaboration of safe technologies and their use for survival of plant in the conditions of stress-factors.
6. Using of project results in agricultural production through practical application of highly active phyto-preparations that decrease damaging impact of negative factors of the environment.
7. Preparation of recommendations on using of new bio-preparations in agriculture of different regions.
The critical importance of the project objectives – creation of bio-simulators of new generation and identification of major mechanisms of stress-damages and plant endurance to stresses – becomes more obvious if stresses and the most dangerous diseases of agricultural crops are considered as artificial, i.e. caused by bio-terrorism. In this connection the project results can become the part of the base of efficient endurance terror means, as they provide real ways of quick rehabilitation of damages and liquidation of the most dangerous plant diseases.
Bio-stimulators of new generation can be successfully used not only in South Caucasus, but in all the regions as well. After the project completion we’ll establish production of Trichoderma preparations on the bases of the Center of Agricultural Biotechnology.
For more then 20 years the Research Center of Agricultural Biotechnology studies biologically active materials and impact of external stress-factors on endurance of agricultural crops. More then 100 research papers are published on the topic and many of them are of priority importance. These are studies of electron transportation during external stresses, infringement of biological membranes, etc. The center was the first to identify Ferro-sulfur proteins in plant tissues. The similarity of free radicals in plant and animal tissues and many other innovations were also established in the center.
Level of activities going on in the Research Center of Agricultural Biotechnology equals with activities of leading research centers of developed countries. Joint researches implemented with foreign scientists prove this fact. The planned results of the project will have priority importance.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.