Strengthening Laboratory Capacities in Africa against CoVID-19 and other epidemics: From set up in Senegal to scale up in Africa (LABPLUS AFRICA)
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
6 Project underway
Senior Project Manager
International Science and Technology Center / ISTC Astana office, Kazakhstan, Nur-Sultan
- Institut Pasteur de Dakar (IPD), Senegal, Dakar\nPraesens Care (PC), Belgium, Watermael Boitsfort
Project summaryThe project presents a series of scientific activities, preparedness and training measures aiming at strengthening and empowering the African preparedness and response to SARS-CoV-2 and future outbreaks of biological etiology in the African continent.
Specific objectives are:
• Reinforce the urgent Response to the CoVID-19 epidemic in affected countries and the preparedness in non-affected countries in Africa through the laboratories working group network of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization Regional Office for Africa (WHO AFRO) and West African Health Organization.
• Establish at Institut Pasteur de Dakar a world class African Centre of Excellence for Training in Surveillance and Epidemic Preparedness, Epidemic Intelligence, Epidemic Response and Epidemic Control.
• Build a strong outreach capacity to provide diagnostics, sequencing, health medical and non-medical (health promotion, social mobilization) services at the peripheral level of the health system and in remote areas using mobile lab platforms using a fleet of 6 Mobile Labs.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.