The Renix Project
The Development of the New Computerized Roentgen Diagnostics Methods
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
- INS-DET/Detection Devices/Instrumentation
3 Approved without Funding
Russian Academy of Sciences / Institute of Nuclear Research, Russia, Moscow
- A.I. Alikhanyan National Science Laboratory, Armenia, Yerevan
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, France, Grenoble\nCNRS / Institut de Physique Nucléaire - Orsay, France, Orsay
Project summaryThe purpose of the project is the development and manufacture of prototypes of instrumentation for computer x-ray diagnostics (without usage of x-ray films) for application in a medical and industrial tomography, medical radioscopy and other areas.
The deriving of the images on the computer will allow to refuse completely a x-ray film, to obtain a digital representation of the images and their handling with modern mathematical methods, to use the Internet capabilities for creation databases, real-time diagnostics and other qualitatively new possibilities based on the modern communications.
As a result, the procedure of deriving of snapshots will be made cheaper, the patient radiation dose will be minimized. The process will be sped up and the quality and efficiency of a X-radiography will be improved. The proposed basic applications of a device are medical therapy and radiodiagnosis, where the high quality of snapshots is ensured and improvement of ecological conditions for medical personnel is attended.
The uniqueness and special purpose of the project is connected to a possibility of development of portable modifications of the device. It will allow to manufacture x-ray express diagnostics in conditions of remoteness from hospitals and medical centres, receiving (if necessary with the help of communication webs) consultation of the leading experts, and transmission of the obtained images for saving in specialized databases.
The solution of complicated, not decided till now problems faced by oncology and an angiography, will be promoted by development of installation for deriving stereoscopic x-ray images. Such installation will enable to detect the dynamic of neoplasms at early stages of their propagation and will ensure addressed delivery of microdoses of medicines to a staggered organ.
High professional level of the experts occupied in the Project, and their unique experience of operation with a penetrating radiation ensure the minimal patient radiation dose, high ecology of process and maximal price reduction of a device due to optimization of the software and application of a mathematical statistics methods for extracting maximum of useful information from the images obtained.
During Project execution:
– the investigations on simulation of process will be conducted with the purpose of optimization of the elements. Main of which are a CCD matrix, optical part, screen, X-ray tube and computer;
– pilot samples of various device modifications will be manufactured;
– the works on automation of a X-ray equipment and its synchronization with the imaging system will be conducted;
– the software of installation will be created with the purpose of storing of data arrays in a computer, and deriving of graphics images on the screen and on the hard carriers.
During project execution the main results will be obtained:
– the device for deriving the x-ray images of different objects without usage of the x-ray film for medical and industrial tomography, medical roentgenophotography, radioscopy etc. will be created;
– the modifications of the device for various applications with allowance for possibilities of its usage in conditions of remoteness from hospitals, including First aid needs will be developed;
– the performances of a device will be essentially improved in comparison with known analogs at significantly smaller cost.
Also will be considered:
– possibilities of creation of specialized x-ray screens, including using of fiber optics, for sensitization of installation and additional decreasing of irradiation dose;
– methods of decreasing of a CCD-matrix noise level and improving of sensitivity of installation;
– possibilities of the images quality increasing by means of mathematical handling of data arrays.
The following scientific and practical problems will be simultaneously investigated:
– the dependence of efficiency of registration of X-rays and space resolution in a wide band of energies of the X-rays on parameters of the screen (thickness, type of a luminophor, light collection condition) will be investigated;
– the possibility of a increasing of image contrast will be investigated by application of a mathematical statistics methods for data arrays handling;
– the experiments on the X-rays beams in a wide region of energies will be conducted with the purpose of deriving the images of model objects.
The problems of the Project correspond to the status and purposes of ISTC, representing for the experts a possibility to redirect the activity, earlier connected with development of the weapons, and also will allow to create a perspective of employment of the experts for their long-term professional activity.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.