Advanced Upper Limb Prosthesis
Development of a System of Prosthetic Aids. Upper Limb Prosthetic Modules with Advanced Functioning.
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-ROB/Robotics/Manufacturing Technology
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Alexandrov K A
NPO Energia, Russia, Moscow reg., Korolev
- Tufts University, USA, MA, Medford
Project summaryThe purpose of this project is to create a system of prosthetic aids. This system includes prosthetic modules of upper and lower limbs prostheses; orthotic modules; advanced materials and technologies appropriate for prosthetics; and technological equipment for prosthetic-orthopaedic manufacturing centres.
It’s proposed to carry out the project scientific research and technological investigations so as to develop design documentation and to create experimental samples of prostheses. Whilst undertaking the work associated with this project, the achievements of the rocket and space industry in the field analysis of structural elements working at high levels of static and cyclic strains; as well as in the creation of very strong and simultaneously elastic details of composite materials will be utilized. Prosthetic assembly is carried out on the basis of the modular principle, which allows one to change modules and to create a wide spectrum of prostheses acceptable to any particular patient, from a limited quantity of modules. The prosthetic modules are made of titanium and high firmness aluminum alloys, high-class steels, such as those used in rocket & space technologies.
The first stage of this project will commence with improving the prototypes of our most advanced upper limb prostheses. These prostheses are the most often used orthopedic products. Thus manufacture of these products at a high level of quality will significantly improve the social rehabilitation of the amputee population.
During this stage, it is proposed to concentrate our efforts on improvement of prototypes of most perspective modules of prosthetic of upper limbs. The kinematics circuit mechanical prosthetic device of shoulder of advanced functional characteristics with simplified by algorithm of management two links will be designed. The optimization of technical features of modules of hand and elbow-forearms in prosthetic device of shoulder controlled two mechanical links will be organized.
The design of complex will allow one:
· To contribute to some extent the conversion process of a large leading organization in the rocket and space complex of the country, “Energia” (S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation Energia) to a market economy.
· To pert the scientific and industrial potential of “Energia” to the manufacturing of socially orientated products.
· To preserve the working places of scientists and engineers, whose activities are now directed towards the development of rocket and space technology, by perting their efforts to the development of products for peaceful and social purposes, which will increase the well being of the people from Russia and the C.I.S.;
· To involve scientists and engineers, who are now working on rocket and space technologies within a global pision of labor and international scientific community, so as to create the long term prospective for their professional activities in Russia. This will reduce the extent to which knowledge corrected with rocket and space technology is being proliferated;
· To fill an existing shortage of Russian high class prostheses apparent nowadays, as well as to satisfy as far as possible the needs of different categories of amputees by providing products necessary for their rehabilitation so that they can live as close to a normal life style as possible.
The result of this is that samples of prosthetic products, containing the “Energia’s” vanguard technical solutions will be prepared for industrial manufacture. These products are protected by patents from the Russian Federation, belonging to S.P. Korolev Rocket and Space Corporation Energia, as well as honored with awards at established international innovational exhibitions.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.