Deactivation of Contaminated Buildings
Development of Decontamination Techniques and Technologies for Industrial Buildings and Equipment that are Polluted by Radionuclides
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow\nVNIPIET (3), Russia, Moscow
- Global Technologies Incorporated (GTI), USA, ID, Idaho Falls
Project summaryThe aim of project is to give specialists in nuclear weapon and nuclear fuel cycle the possibility of receiving a new profession involving them in works on the development of decontamination methods and technologies for removing radioactive contamination from surfaces of objects: equipment, rooms etc. which are difficult of access (flat, curved, and blind).
The offered work based on the conception of works on decontamination of industrial equipment and buildings is subpided as follows:
– in the phase of research works, more perspective technological solutions for the above problem are validated and developed. The results of work are summarized in a report, special attention will be paid to the following decontamination methods:
- mechanical (scratch-brushing with further "suction" of the processed products) with waste containment system;
- sand-blasting (with abrasive dispersion products localization and further containment);
- liquid (jet, foam etc.) with the system of wastes containment);
- ultrasonic with a system of containment;
- decontamination with the help of polymeric coatings (preservation of inaccessible contamination);
– in the phase of technical proposal, technical and technical economical validation is performed aimed to create a complex of systems producing a mobile effect on the object under decontamination, thus providing removal of unfixed, weakly fixed, and firmly fixed radioactive contaminants with orientation on the present state of surfaces of equipment and buildings at Chernobyl power station area. It will be shown too that it is expedient to develop and manufacture (on the state level with the participation of foreign firms) multifunctional engineering and technical means for performing necessary technological operations;
– in the phase of a "draft project" work is done on documents showing the arrangement and principle of work of articles realizing optimal technologies of impact on the decontaminated objects, the offered solutions are verified experimentally.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.