Gateway for:

Member Countries

Plasmachemical Treatment of Halogen Containing Materials and Wastes

#KR-814


Development and Optimization Plasmachemical of Methods and Equipments for Neutralization and Treatment of Halogen Containing Materials and Wastes

Tech Area / Field

  • ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment

Status
3 Approved without Funding

Registration date
12.10.2001

Leading Institute
Institute of Physics, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek

Supporting institutes

  • Russian Scientific Center of Applied Chemistry, Russia, St Petersburg

Collaborators

  • Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Korea, Taejon\nPlasmachem Produktions und Handel GmbH, Germany, Mainz\nScientific Utilization Inc., USA, AL, Huntsville

Project summary

The project provides research and creation of effective methods and systems for neutralisation of halogen-containing substances and wastes containing in them. At the present time, the problem of neutralisation of the pointed substances is of international importance. The substances being subject of certain neutralisation are, first of all, ozone-destroying freons (freons 11, 12, 13, 114, 115, freon bromides 12B1, 13B1, 114B2) which already are made about 2 million tons in the world. A polychloride biphenyles (PCB) are not of less dangerous. Their manufacture is now stopped. However, to the present time, about 760 million litres of PCB is saved in all countries. Till now, about 60% of them is used in various areas of industry (mainly in electrical engineer). A large part of the rest of 40% of substances has got in an environment. It is proved now that under influence of PCB the functions of liver are changed, a danger of oncological diseases sharply raises. The threat connected to application of ozone-destroying freons does not require the special explanations.

The complexity of a problem of neutralisation of halogen-containing admixtures consists in that an use for this purpose of traditional thermal technologies with not enough high temperatures in a zone of pyrolise of these substances and also without control regimes of cooling of destruction products can result in formation of secondary highly toxic admixtures such as dioxins, difluorine- and chlorinephosgenes, oktafluorineizobutiline, benzapiren and others.

One of the most perspective method of neutralisation of halogen-containing admixtures is plasmachemical one. Preliminary research of this method in RSC AC during neutralisation of ozone-destroying freons 12, 133 and pentachlorinebiphenyl on plasma decomposition of iodine freons and organochlorine simulators of poisoning substances have confirmed its high efficiency.

At the same time, existing plasma chemical methods of neutralisation a power and economically are non-optimum. The preliminary analysis demonstrates, that their performance can be heightened by special organization of the process рlasma chemical pyrolysis.

Problems of the offered project are:

1. Research and choice of optimal conditions of plasmachemical neutralisation of various halogen-containing admixtures including halogenorganic analogues of poisoning substances.

2. Creation and research of the schemes of installations for plasma decomposition of condensed halogen-containing and gas products of decomposition with the purpose of obtaining of ecologically safe outflowing gases.

3. Choice and experimental check of various methods of analysis of composition of gas outflowing out from plasmachemical installation and a liquid phase in its system of neutralisation.

4. Estimation and experimental check of an opportunity of realisation of pyrolise of halogen-containing substances directly inside the arc chamber of a plasmatron.

5. Development of theoretical methods of analysis of process of pyrolise of halogen-containing admixtures in a reactor of plasmachemical installation.

The result of fulfilment of the specified problems will be obtaining data necessary for designing industrial plasmachemical installations capable effectively and safely to neutralise various halogen-containing admixtures and industrial wastes.

The basic executors of the project are highly skilled scientific employees of RSC AC, IP NAS KR.

Duration of the project is 36 months (3 years).


Back

The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.

 

ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.

Promotional Material

Значимы проект

See ISTC's new Promotional video view