Innovative Reactor Concepts and Fuel Cycles
Analysis, Substantiation and Agreeing of Innovative Reactor Technologies and Fuel Cycles Acceptability Criteria: Nuclear, Radiation and Environmental Safety, Economics and Non-Proliferation
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-REA/Reactor Concept/Fission Reactors
- FIR-FUE/Reactor Fuels and Fuel Engineering/Fission Reactors
- FIR-NSS/Nuclear Safety and Safeguarding/Fission Reactors
3 Approved without Funding
International Nuclear Safety Center, Russia, Moscow
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) / International Nuclear Safety Center, USA, IL, Argonne\nTexas A&M University System, USA, TX, College Station\nUS Department of Energy, USA, DC, Washington
Project summaryGoal of the PDG project - development and coordination with Russian and foreign collaborators of full and agreed text of the project technical Work Plan, included list of criteria, methods of estimation and comparison of innovative reactor technologies and fuel cycles from viewpoint of economy and environmental acceptability, nuclear and radiation safety and non-proliferation.
At the PDG stage the activity on following directions will be executed:
Analysis, selection and coordination with foreign collaborators of works to be included into the project work Plan (nuclear and radiation safety, environmental safety, non-proliferation, economics etc.);
Methods of estimation and comparison of innovative reactor and fuel cycles technologies (neutron balance, thermal hydraulics, technology, nuclear and radiation safety, etc.).
- Criteria, methods of estimation and comparison of innovative reactor technologies, nuclear and radiation safety, non-proliferation and economics for innovative reactor technologies and fuel cycle of natural safety from point of view of economics and nuclear and radiation safety acceptability will be developed.
- Non-proliferation of dangerous nuclear materials. The analysis of technical aspects: a design of the reactor, structure and enrichment of a fissile material, weight of fuel located in processing, installation of site located processing of a fissile material.
- Innovative reactor technologies. Requirements to neutron characteristics and nuclear safety, determination of a fuel and fuel loading, selection of the coolant, substantiation of thermotechical reliability, the flow diagram, etc.
- Nuclear and radiation safety. Consideration of safety in depth (physical barriers and levels of protection) and concept of natural (intrinsically) safety.
- Environmental safety. Consideration of fuel cycles, technology of fuel reprocessing and provision of purification of allocated fission products from actinides, according to a principles of so-called "radiation equivalence".
- Economic aspects. The analysis of economic indexes: the cost of NPP building, fuel components, site located fuel cycle, processing of actinides, produced by system of conventional nuclear power plants, etc.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.