High-Performance and Environmentally Friendly Technology and Equipment for Arsenic Removal from Mining Wastes
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
- ENV-SPC/Solid Waste Pollution and Control/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Georgian Technical University, Georgia, Tbilisi
- ARKTIS Solutions Incorporated, Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Arsenic belongs to the matter which can be profited in case its rational use. And its undue appraisal or careless treatment may cause huge disaster. As it was mentioned the ignorance or erroneous action of one generation may cause the necessity of solving this problem by the next generation.
The subject of arsenic-containing waste processing is the problem for many countries and a lot of scientists work upon this problem. The project team - researchers from the Georgian Technical University have been working upon the subject of arsenic extraction from solid materials for the last 30 years. During the last years we have managed to develop a new technology for arsenic sulfide ores processing and create the utility for its execution. There are a lot of innovations in the developed technology and the device, and part of them is already patented.
In the course of the proposed project modernization of the above technology and the device is foreseen for waste neutralization via removal of arsenic from solid industrial wastes, plenty of which is available in the regions of mining and production of arsenic, including Georgia, in order to solve the problem of arsenic contamination.
To achieve the basic goal the following tasks are to be solved in the course of the proposed project:
- To complete investigation and estimation of the existing condition of arsenic production wastes in Georgia;
- To determine chemical and physical composition of the wastes;
- To establish the ways of neutralization of arsenic-containing wastes;
- To conduct the laboratory tests of the developed method;
- To modernize the device, designed in the frames of the previous researches for extraction of arsenic from sulphide ore, in order to construct an environmentally friendly and efficient equipment for removal of arsenic from mining wastes and soil.
- To establish the optimal parameters of the constructed pilot unit for processing of arsenic-containing mining wastes.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.