Ecology and Open-Pit Mining
Estimation of Negative Influence of Open-Pit Mining upon Ecological Situation in Chui Valley (Kyrgyzstan)
Tech Area / Field
- OBS-GEO/Geology/Other Basic Sciences
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz-Russian Slavonic University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Arizona State University, USA, AZ, Tempe\nInstituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, Italy, Rome
Project summaryThe aim of ths project is the estimation of the negative influence of open-pit mining in the pits upon the ecological situation in Chui Valley of the Kyrgyz Republic. In addition to that elaborating the recommendations for improvement of environmental situation and minimizing the negative technogeneous exposures upon nature and human environment.
We are trying to solve the set task by doing the detailed mapping and categorization of open mountain workings – the pits in Chui depression on the basis of:
- Aerial and space images interpretation,
- Field research of mountain organizations
- displacement monitoring of pit edges and adjacent mountain slopes, which occur due to the carried out workings and earthquake effects;
- estimation of changes which occur in hydrogeological conditions of the area due to the pit excavations
- investigation of the animal landfillings, fallen during the epizooty,
- the check health condition of the rural citizens living in the areas adjacent to pits, which is connected to level change of the surface and ground waters, and change in sold and gas components of the air mass;
- discovering and researching the archeological relics in the zones of open-pit mining to preserve the cultural heritage
- total estimation of eco-geological environment in places where active open-pit mines take place of Chui depression
- elaborating recommendations for optimal pit excavation, which will decrease the harm, brought to the Chui area ecology and also the recommendation for reclaiming and the reutilization of the left pits and dumps
Current situation in the area of research. At this moment the influence spectrum upon destructed landscapes, the spreading of pollutants, which are resulted from the mining enterprises, is so wide that in some region show unpredictable effects those are harmful for soil, vegetation and people’s health.
The expected results:
The realization of the project will allow achieving the following results:
- The detailed map of eco-geological classification of all the pit workings for Chui depression and its mountain ridges will be created
- The model of pit edge and adjacent mountain slopes displacement for separate - key pits of the researched region, which take place due to the mountain workings and seismic events will be created
- The estimation of hydro-geological condition of the area connected to the carried out pit workings will be implemented
- The archeological research of the pit walls and the adjacent areas to reveal the ancient sites and its documentation will be carried out
- The mapping and documentation of the ancient and more recent burials of people and animals died from dangerous infectious disease will be executed
- The health conditions of rural citizens living in villages adjacent to large pits will be checked and this is connected to level change of the surface and ground waters, and change in sold and gas components of the air mass;
- Total estimation of eco-geological environment in places where active open-pit mines take place of Chui depression and its mountain ridges will be carried out
- Recommendations for optimal pit excavation will be elaborated, which will decrease the harm brought to the Chui area ecology and also the recommendation for reclaiming and the reutilization of the left pits and dumps
- All the received estimations and recommendations after the Project will be completed will be transferred to the Ministry of Environmental Resources, Ministry of Emergency situations, environmental protection and forestry agency, Health Ministry and sanitary epidemiologic agency, and Building and architecture agency and regional and local authorities.
Project compliance with the ISTC aims.
Due to the fact that all specialists employed in this project have knowledge in this area, so the project will have especially peace orientation and complies with ISTC aims.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.