Neutron Cross-Sections and Level Density for Fission-Products, Th, 233-U
Neutron Cross-Sections in Resonance Energy Range and Nuclear Level Density for Fission-Products, Th, 233-U
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-NOT/Nuclear and Other Technical Data/Fission Reactors
- PHY-ANU/Atomic and Nuclear Physics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
FEI (IPPE), Russia, Kaluga reg., Obninsk
- Joint Institute of Nuclear Research, Russia, Moscow reg., Dubna
- TU Delft, The Netherlands, Delft\nKyungpook National University, Korea, Taegu\nPohang University of Science and Technology/Department of Physics/Pohang Accelerator Laboratory, Korea, Pohang
Project summaryMain objective of the Project is measurements of the neutron cross-sections in the resonance energy range for fission-products, 232Th, 233U and the neutron emission spectra for fission-products, and studies on the basis of theirs of the resonance parameters, resonance self-shielding factors, Doppler effect and the nuclear level density. The following data will be obtained as a result of works on the Project:
– New experimental data on the neutron total, capture, scattering cross-sections and resonance parameters for isotopes of Nb, Mo, Rh, Pd, In, Sn, Sm in energy range of (1 eV–100 keV);
– New experimental data on the neutron total, capture cross-sections, resonance self-shielding factors and Doppler-effect for isotopes of 232Th and 233U in energy range of (1 eV–100 keV);
– Results of the double-differential neutron emission cross-sections measurements in (p,n) reaction on the nuclei near-by to fission-products and the corresponding data on nuclear level density for mass range of (90-124) at excitation energy range of (0-10) MeV.
The experiments on measurement of neutron cross-sections, resonance parameters, resonance self-shielding and Doppler factors in resonance energy range will be performed on the neutron facilities based on the pulsed fast reactors (JINR) and the 100–MeV electron linear accelerator (PAL, POSTECH) by time-of-flight method with use of the multiplicity spectrometry, which gives the possibility of simultaneous registration of several processes (scattering, capture, fission) in one experiment and allow to reduce of the errors connected with the backgrounds and normalization. The measurements of the differential neutron emission cross-sections in (p,n) reaction for determination of the nuclear level density will be performed on the tandem electrostatic accelerator of SSC RF IPPE, on which nanosecond pulsing beam and precise timing technique are available for registration of neutron energy and angular distributions in nuclear reactions by time-of-flight method. For the analysis of the measured differential neutron emission cross-sections in the framework of optic-statistical Hauser-Feshbach approach is worked out the special code allowed to make in such calculations automatic search of the nuclear level density parameters with attraction of all accessible experimental information for concrete type of reactions.
Highly qualified personnel with a lot of experience in nuclear data measurement will work for the Project and use unique equipment of SSC RF IPPE, JINR and PAL POSTECH. A large group of ex-weapon scientists and engineers will be employed in an important domain of peaceful R&D – obtaining of nuclear data for decision of atomic power engineering vital questions.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.