Protection from Explosion
Electrodynamic Way of Protection from Explosion
Tech Area / Field
- PHY-SSP/Solid State Physics/Physics
- PHY-NGD/Fluid Mechanics and Gas Dynamics/Physics
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Genisaretskaya S V
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Defence Research and Development Canada, Canada, QC, Valcartier
Project summaryBasic project idea:
The electrodynamic way of protection from explosion is an active way based on the effect of magnetic cummulation of energy and assumes the following sequence of processes.
- Magnetic field creation in a hollow metal shell placed between a high explosive (HE) charge and protected object.
- Conversion of the explosion product energy into the shell kinetic energy with consequent conversion into electromagnetic energy in result of the shell breaking by the magnetic field pressure.
- Transmitting the electromagnetic energy away at a safe distance and dissipation in the form of the Joule heat.
The project goals:
- Development and creation of devices for the electrodynamic protection of people, buildings and industrial equipment from impact and debris action of explosion.
- Experimental and theoretical research of the electrodynamic protection capabilities.
- Development of an engineering technique of the electrodynamic protection.
- Development of fundamentals of a process engineering of the electrodynamic way of protection.
- Experimental data base accumulation for improvement of computational techniques, both available and those that will be created, for numerical simulation of the electrodynamic protection.
The electrodynamic way of active protection from unauthorized explosion is intended for solving the following tasks.
- Firing HE charge placed by terrorists in cases, when evacuation at a safe distance is impossible and the direct firing at the place results in a loss of people or destruction of valuable equipment.
- Antiterrorist applications such, as protection from explosion of HE charge placed in inpidual left-luggage cases or garbage boxes at airports and railway stations.
- Pipelines welding by explosion in regions difficult for access, to which it is impossible to supply and locate an explosive chamber and welding equipment. Pipe welding using the electrodynamic protection of the adjacent pipeline segments may be the only way of the pipeline creation and repair.
- Process engineering of explosive strengthening, cladding, forging, punching and welding by explosion of bulky products, large length, surface or weight of which, and a weight of a required HE charge do not allow using explosive chambers.
- Preventing from a detonation HE and ammunition stored at warehouses in the case of unauthorized explosion of one or several charges.
- Preventing or reducing damages due to emergency explosion in cases similar to the torpedo explosion at the “Kursk” submarine.
- The protection devices resistance to the action of explosions of different power in the range of initial currents 1-3 МА.
- Efficiency of the electromechanical conversion of the explosion energy into electrical and thermal energies.
- Specific density of the converted power depending on properties of used materials, shell configuration and sizes.
- Determination of values of initial capacity С0, resistance R0 and inductance L0 of a circuit of the electromechanical energy converter.
- Optimization of the initial electrical energy source.
- Versions of a system for transporting the electrical energy and dispersing as a thermal energy.
- Creation of devices for protection from explosion of cylindrical and plane HE charges. Defining the efficiency of the devices in a wide range of their geometric parameters.
- Designing parameters of the shell enveloping the HE charge (diameter, length, cross section profile, number of sections outside the charge and along its length) and of a unit converting the electrical energy to the thermal energy (geometry, design and materials).
- Values of R0 and L0 of the electrical circuit, energy E0, amplitude I0 and duration Δt0 of the initial current pulse ensuring the magnetic cummulation (generating) protection mode. Values of Rload and Lload of the unit of the electrical energy conversion in the thermal energy, energy Еload, amplitude Iload and duration Δtload of the current pulse in a load.
- Results of numerical simulation of the electromechanical energy conversion of a cylindrical HE charge in electromagnetic and thermal energy.
- Values of volumetric specific power and specific force at the stage of the explosion energy conversion in the kinetic energy of a particular shell. The data on the efficiency, specific electromagnetic power, specific force and power consumed by output resistance in the generation and propulsion modes and in the mode of the electromagnetic braking.
- The experimental and calculated data for a process engineering of protection from unauthorized explosion of ammunition.
The Project authors have developed an experimental technique of electrodynamic protection from explosion and technique of processes recording. The efficiency of electrodynamic protection has been demonstrated by comparing results of impact and debris effects of explosion in cases of presence and absence of the current in the electrical circuit including a metal shell surrounding a cylindrical HE charge. If the current is absent the outer shell is completely destroyed by the explosion, if the shell is connected to the current circuit the shell is only weakly deformed. Most of the project participants are experts in HE magnetic energy cummulation.
In activities on the Project 15 RFNC-VNIIEF specialists will be involved, who earlier participated in nuclear weapons development and assessment. The work on the Project will permit to redirect them to a technology problem, which has civilian applications and by that use their qualification for peaceful purposes. By providing alternative opportunities for Russian specialists, who previously concentrated on secret issues connected with nuclear weapons, the work on the Project will facilitate their assimilation into the international scientific community.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.