Shells Piercing by Space Dust Particles
Experimental and Theoretical Study of Piercing Protective Shells by Space Dust Particles in Regime of Ultra-Deep Penetration
Tech Area / Field
- SAT-SAF/Space Safety/Space, Aircraft and Surface Transportation
- PHY-STM/Structural Mechanics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
MISIS (Steel and Alloys), Russia, Moscow
- AO Kompozit, Russia, Moscow reg., Korolev\nVNIIKhT (Chemical Technology), Russia, Moscow
- University of California, USA, CA, San Diego
Project summaryAims of the research:
1. Studying of penetrating mechanism of space particles clots through the spacecraft shield in the SDP mode.
2. Elaboration of math model of penetration process in the mode of SDP.
3. Development of the spacecraft shield firm to penetration by space particles clots.
4. Development of the materials firm to penetration by space particles clots.
The SDP notion of small particles (~ 10 micro meter) into the barriers with high velocity clots loading, got with the help of explosive acceleration of a special configuration, was discovered in late 70-s. The scientists studied the conditions and causes of the SDP notion and tried to explain this effect . At present time the SDP notion is used to get the materials with high resistance, to define the protective characteristics .
It is planned in the project to study SDP process in the mode of co-striking at density – 0.65∙102 - 5.7∙103 kg/m3. With particle size – 3-150 mkm.
Clots of such density are not detected by radars. According to published data under such conditions the barriers made of iron and titan, those thickness was 0.100 m, were penetrated completely, Al and Cu – were penetrated till 50-60 mm.
In the project the process of micropenetration outlet to the back side of the barriers will be studied, the thing is that after outlet, microjet with diameter 0.1-10 mkm is formed. Such vets possess high penetrative capacity.
In the project, the study of electromagnetic emanation (radiation) in the process of clot braking (including end ray range) will be researched.
It is supposed under the project:
1. Installation of necessary equipment for modeling space clot impact on barriers. Creation of special methods which will allow to detect penetration and defects formation.
2. Elaboration of theoretical presentation of SDP parameters in space conditions, creation of theoretical model, make necessary reckoning.
3. Define the effective methods of clots braking in the mode of SDP by different materials:
- metals and fusions;
- organic materials;
- composite materials in different combinations.
4. Elaborate the principals of clots braking in the mode of SDP, deliver modeling research.
1. Usherenko S.M., Owsik J., Zarwalska A. Analysis of the chock interaction under the super deer penetration effect // Fundamental issues and applications of shock wave and high-strain-rate phenomena. Elsevier, Amsterdam, London, New York, Oxford, Paris, Shannon, Tokyo, 2001. – P. 571-574.
2. Usherenko S.M. New techniques of registration of micro particles penetration into barriers // New experimental methods in material dynamics and impact. Centre of Excellence for Advanced Materials and structures. Warsaw, 2002. – P. 445-450.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.