Biological Soil Clean-up from Trinitrotoluene
Technology for Cleanup of Soils from Contamination by Trinitrotoluene on the Basis of Surfactant- Producing Microorganisms-Degraders
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Ryzhova T B
Research Center of Toxicology and Hygienic Regulation of Biopreparations, Russia, Moscow reg., Serpukhov
- University of Tennessee, USA, TN, Knoxville
Project summaryThe objective of the present project is development of the method for soil clean-up from trinitrotoluene (TNT), based on surfactant producing TNT-degrading microorganisms employment.
The contamination of the environment by TNT is a great danger for nature and human's health, as TNT and its derivates possess pronounced toxic and mutagenic properties . TNT, at the areas of explosive substances producing and utilization, can have been keeping for a long time as historical pollutions. In the USA, millions tons of contaminated by TNT soil need to be cleaned up . The development of biological methods for detoxification of soil, contaminated by TNT, is one of the most promising ways of the actual ecological problem attacking.
The development of the technology for soil, contaminated by TNT, biological remediation, will be based on the RCT&HRB scientists' experience, obtained while the development of recultivation biotechnology for soil, contaminated by the toxic chemical substances, such as polyphenyls, products of oil processing, phenylic acid, etc., in accordance with the contract with TOYOTA (ISTC project #228).
To achieve the objective, the investigations should be conducted according to the following points:
1. Creation of the surfactant producing TNT-degrading microorganisms collection.
2. Study of the effectiveness of TNT degradation by surfactant producing TNT-degrading microorganisms in soil microcosms.
3. Study of the effectiveness of TNT degradation by surfactant producing TNT-degrading microorganisms in native soil (in situ).
4. Ecological and toxicological assessment of biotechnological method for soil, contaminated by TNT, remediation, based on surfactant producing TNT-degrading microorganisms employment.
Foreign collaborators participation in the project could be the following;
· Information supply, creating of database and drawing up of joint analytical reviews (for publishing in Russian and English);
· Consultation help on optimization of active conditions for TNT biodegradation;
· Seminars on results of completed stages of the project;
· Independent laboratory experiments on checking the degrading abilities of isolated natural microorganisms, decomposing TNT;
· Joint field experiments on assessment of the biotechnology in the USA and Europe;
· Reviewing of articles and recommendations, prepared for publication;
Preparation of papers on microorganisms strains and technologies for patenting in collaborators' countries.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.