New Melanin-based Eco- and Enterosorbent
Melanin-based eco-and enterosorbent — new mean for obtainning ecologically clean livestock production (Project Extension)
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
- AGR-VTH/Vaccines and Theraupetics/Agriculture
3 Approved without Funding
B.I. Stepanov Institute of Physics, Belarus, Minsk
- S.N. Vyshelessky Research Institute of Veterinary Medicine, Belarus, Minsk reg., Kuntsevshchina
- Friedrich-Schiller-Universitat / Institut fur Ernahrungswissenschaften, Germany, Jena\nDOSTOFARM GmbH, Germany, Westerstede
Project summaryAs a result of our research in frame of first stage of the EU-funded ISTC Project #B-842 we have developed new melanin-containing enterosorbent as a therapeutic and prophylactic mean for animals; developed new fodder additive to obtaining ecologically clean products (eggs, meat) in industrial animal farming; prove the sorbent efficiency on wide spectrum of applications for eliminating new types of toxic compounds.
Today we witness wide propagation of virus and bacterial infections, which lead to losses of agricultural animals, especially in poultry farming (recent mass slaughter of poultry in China, Thailand Turkey, Ukraine, Romania etc.). The economic damage produced by virus or bacterial-virus diseases of agricultural animals is huge. Research and development on new means of bacterial and virus infections control became more topical after prohibition of antibiotic use in animal fodder in EU from 2005.
Important industrial aspect of these problems is ecological safety of production. The application of enterosorbents as prophylactic means for control of bacterial-virus infections in animal industry can promote successful solution of these problems.
The our obtained results show, that development of new technologies of the phytosorbent administration as a curative and prophylactic remedy at virus diseases of various etiology can be quite promising. The phytosorbent administration is especially perspective during enterovirus infections, that is virus infections localized in a gastrointestinal tract. One of the these virus infection is Newcastle disease, known also as pseudo-plague of birds (note, that avian fly is known as the classic birds plague) and avian influenza are especially dangerous for human health, because both can communicated to human. Furthermore, there is anxiety that particular virus strain may eventually lead to human flu pandemic. Epizootic of Newcastle disease in past years is very acute also, because it has been registered in the USA, Italy and Denmark. Incidences of Newcastle disease have been registered in Albania, Austria, Belarus, Canada, Kuwait, Nigeria, Russia and other countries. The 2003 outbreak of the disease in the USA has struck more than 900 private enterprises and farms with a million poultry livestock within several months. According to information given MEB for period with 2002-2003 the Newcastle disease has been registered in 22 countries of the world.
The purpose of the present Project Extension proposal is development of a new complex preparations with antibacterial and anti-virus properties on the basis of earlier tested enterosorbent .
The enteric method of new complex preparations application provides safety, simplicity of use and high efficiency of sanitation of organism from bacterial-viruses infections.
Main purpose of the Project: promote sustainable development of modern society.
Scientific significance of the results to be obtained consists in development of new strategy of control of bacterial and virus infections in conditions in vitro and in vivo.
Practical significance of the project results consists in obtaining of new commercial products — protective means for control of bacterial and virus infections of animals.
Fields of application of the results of investigations:
- industrial animal breeding (including such a highly profitable fields as poultry farming) for epizooty prevention, preservation of livestock, and obtaining ecologically clean products of animal breeding of high sanitary quality (eggs, meat);
- veterinary medicine – the use of the enterosorbent at bacterial and virus infections;
- areas of epizooties – as a protective means.
The ultimate goal of the proposed Project is to improve the life quality of people by reducing the influence of animal diseases on human’s health. The goal set within the framework of the proposed Project conforms to ISTC’s objectives and tasks in the best possible way:
- Supports applied research in the field of protection of human's and animals' health from bacterial and virus infections, contributing thereby to the solution of national and international problems connected with epizootic flashes;
- Contributes to sustainable development of society;
- It provides an opportunity for a large group of weapons scientists from Belarus to use their knowledge and skills for peaceful purposes;
- Stimulates integration of Belarusian scientists into international scientific community;
- Promotes the adaptation of the Project participants to the conditions of market economy.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.