Wastewater to Fuel
Creation of Environmentally and Energetically High Effective Electric Arc Reactor for Cleaning the Wastewater and Producing Fuel from Wastewater and Carbon Dioxide
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
- NNE-FCN/Fuel Conversion/Non-Nuclear Energy
- PHY-PLS/Plasma Physics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
Georgian Technical University, Georgia, Tbilisi
- University of Tokyo / Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, Japan, Tokyo\nUniversità di Ferrara, Italy, Ferrara
Project summaryThe aim of the project is to design electric arc reactor for cleaning the wastewater ( EARCW) and producing fuel from wastewater and carbon dioxide via decomposing them in the long electric arc, which burns in wastewater.
The work is dedicated to design of electric arc reactor for cleaning the wastewater, producing fuel, which enriched by hydrogen and reducing carbon dioxide EARCW.
Results of the project can be applied also for producing gas from seawater and the waste of marine ships to replenish energy when navigating.
Results of the project can be applied also for treatment of seawater and for treatment of contaminated brackish groundwater and for processing of produced water.
The state of affairs in the field of research. There are various methods of discharges in water (Alexander Fridman, Plasma Chemistry, Drexel University and Cambridge University Press: Chapters 5.9.1, 5.9.2, 5.9.3, 5.9.4, pg. 331-334, 2008). However, these methods are complex, expensive and have a low power (less than 10 kW).
The impact of the proposed project on the progress in this field. The received results, both theoretical and practical, will be a subject of commercialization. Namely: research institutes and the design organizations can buy all theoretical and practical data about creation of Electric Arc Reactor for cleaning the wastewater and producing fuel from wastewater and Carbon Dioxide.
The competence of the participants of the project in this area. All participants in this project are quite competent in the given topic. at the level of patents were published the scientific works. Participants of this project possess the U.S. patents and a license that was sold in Germany and many USSR copyright certificates which have been applied in industrial enterprises of former USSR. There are some publications with their co-authorship below.
Expected Results and Their Application. The proposed Project Proposal Relates to applied research, technology development and technology demonstration categories.
The proposed Project results will be creation an innovative Electric Arc Reactor for cleaning the wastewater and producing fuel from wastewater and carbon dioxide EARCW.
Advantages of This EARCW will be:
1. Cost effective obtaining biological clean water from wastewater
2. Cost effective producing fuel from wastewater and carbon dioxide
3. Combined transformation of carbon dioxide and wastewater to the Fuel
4. Carbon dioxide reducing
5. Environmentally friendly technology without releasing hazardous substances
Technical Approach and Methodology. Some general technical approaches and methodologies will be used, such as:
- Analysis of the composition of wastewater, the publications about sewage water (1.Online nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/water/13C.pdf; 2. http://www.water.siemens.com and etc) will be studied;
- the methods of analysis of nonlinear and no stationary electrical circuits will be applied;
- theoretical methods of calculation of separate units will be applied;
- theoretical methods of determination of the components of gas and hydrodynamic units will be applied;
- the following works will be carried out for power 10 kW: Development of electric circuit of the power source having properties of the current source FCS; Calculation of the electric and electromagnetic elements of the FCS; Development of the technical project for FCS; Manufacturing of the FCS; Investigation of main parameters of FCS.
- investigations of the gas-dynamic, aerodynamic, voltage-current, thermal and other characteristics of the new EARCW in power 10 kW will be made; For Development and manufacture of industrial model of EARCW in power 50 kW the following works will be carried out for power 50 kW: Development of electric circuit for FCS; Calculation of electric and electromagnetic elements of FCS; Development of the technical project for FCS; Manufacturing of FCS ; Investigation of main parameters of FCS.
- investigation of gas-dynamic, aerodynamic, voltage-current, thermal and other characteristics of the new EARCW in power 50 kW, will be made;
- the industrial tests on the site will be made and will be made report of Results of the industrial tests of the industrial model of EARCW in power 50 kW on the site. Working drawings in Auto Cad will be made.
Preparation of scientific-technical documentation, photo- and video records, materials for publication and final scientific report, Quarterly report, Annual report, Scientific report and Patent documentation will be made.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.