Biosafety of milk in the Kyrgyz Republic
Improving the biosafety of milk production and processing in the Kyrgyz Republic
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-DIS/Disease Surveillance/Agriculture
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz-Turkish University "Manas", Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz National Technical University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Slovak University of Technology, Slovakia, Bratislava
Project summaryPurpose of the project. Kyrgyzstan is mountain country in Central Asia with high potential of dairy industry. The population of country comprises 5.776.570 people (2014 est.) The share of livestock in the structure of gross agricultural production is 47.5%. Development of dairy cattle plays significant role in solving problems of socio-economic development of the country. Population of the country is the major producer of milk. Up to 98% of total primary products are produced by private farms and about 2% - in livestock farms.
Today the condition of biosecurity of milk production and processing raises many concerns. Therefore, in order to make all stages of production, storage, transportation, processing and selling comply with technical regulations certain measures has to be taken. The system of biosecurity of milk production and processing has to be improved and correspond to international requirements of security based of fundamental research in nutritional science, including creation of modern laboratory and methodical framework.
In Kyrgyzstan control of biosecurity of dairy products usually based on study of samples of end products and periodic inspection of processing and trading companies for compliance with sanitary requirements. Dangerous dairy products, detected during inspections, are taken out from trading companies and persons, who were responsible for production and selling, are called to account. Such traditional system, which is not effective, cannot solve current and newly appearing problems of dairy products biosecurity, because the system does not take into account preventive aspect.
Market globalization and increase of competition is the colossal challenge for the Kyrgyz Republic, the WTO member and the member of other international economic organizations.
According to the international standards, certain rules have to be established for raw milk producers, which will ensure production of high quality milk. In international literature such rules are called Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP). GMP contains description of the most developed practice, which is considered to be a standard. (V.P. Yaremchyk, V.I. Rodin, 2010).
One of the most successful and widely used control system of dangerous stages of production process is Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points system (HACCP). This is set of measures, which ensures food security at all stages of production (“from farm to fork”) by early forecast of the threat to the human health and preliminary development of appropriate steps of data recording and storage. “From farm to fork” strategy guarantees safe and harmless dairy products, produced by healthy animals, which are kept is good sanitary and growing conditions, under which they are exposed to the minimal level of risk, and processed on biological risk free enterprises.
Based on the foregoing, the following project goal was defined: Improvement of biological safety of production and processing of milk in the Kyrgyz Republic in terms of concept of “from farm to fork” with use of the HACCP standard.
In order to achieve the above mentioned goal, the following tasks have been defined:
1. Analysis and evaluation of the institutional basis (legislative and regulatory) of biological and food security in the Kyrgyz Republic
2. Analysis and evaluation of the socio-economic and sanitary conditions of milk production and processing in Kyrgyzstan
3. Analysis and evaluation of biological security of milk production and processing in the Kyrgyz Republic according to “from farm to fork” chain under НАССР standard.
4. Study of risk factors of milk and dairy products infection under the “from farm to fork” concept.
5. Development and publication of methodological recommendation:
5.1. “Ensuring of milk biosafety in livestock farm”.
5.2. “Ensuring of milk biosafety in processing enterprise”.
Expected results and their implication. The following scientific and practical results are expected to be obtained after the project realization:
- The study of the international trend of research on biological safety of milk production and processing;
- Institutional assessment of the legislation and regulatory stadards for biological and food security in the Kyrgyz Republic will be provided;
- Socio-economic and sanitary-technological assessment of milk production and processing in the Kyrgyz Republic will be given;
- Provision of new scientific data on risk factors of milk and dairy products infection;
- Development of methodological recommendations (“Ensuring of milk biosafety in livestock farm” and “Ensuring of milk biosafety in processing enterprise).
Goals and tasks realization. The project will be implemented by weapon scientists and specialists of the Kyrgyz Republic, who are engaged into researches of biological and food safety, which will allow them to redirect their specialization on peaceful activities, in other words, on development of technological safety of environment, human beings and animals and on solving biosafety problems. All this corresponds to the goal of ISTC “to give to weapon scientists and specialists a chance for research activities for peaceful purposes”. The project will contribute for integration of scientists from the Kyrgyz Republic into the international scientific society and encourage the development of applied researches. Moreover, these aims will be achieved through widespread engagement of scientists from the participating countries into the international scientific society by providing the information about the project on the international conferences and workshops.
The role of international Collaborators/Partners. The Project Collaborator will carry out following activities: - methodological audit of the Project; - Sharing of information during project implementation; - Assisting project members in attending International conferences and workshops; - Administration of joint workshops and conferences; - Mutual usage and publication of gained results.
Technical approach and methodology. In order to achieve the goal of the Project the following scientific and practical research methods will be used: collection and analysis of data based on the official publications of the ISTC project results, by conducting comparative and statistical analysis. Tabulation and diagram formation, which will be needed for database creation.
In order to achieve the tasks of the Project the following actions will be implemented:
- Collection of the normative legal acts, instructions of the Kyrgyz Republic on biological and food safety;
- Analysis and evaluation of the social-economic and sanitary technological condition of milk production and processing in the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Collection and analysis of the epizootic and epidemiological situation in the Kyrgyz Republic for last 3 years, the situational analysis and data collection by surveying livestock farms and dairy enterprises.
- Study, analysis and evaluation of biological safety of dairy products at livestock farms and milk processing enterprises, by conducting input, technological and exit control in terms of HACCP standard.
- Study, analysis and evaluation of risk factors of milk and dairy products infection at livestock farms and milk processing enterprises with usage of HACCP standard
- Elaboration of main types of infections in the Kyrgyz Republic, which can be transmitted through milk and dairy products;
- Identification of potentially hazardous risk factors, which are related to milk production, starting from raw materials production up to final consumption, including all stages of product life cycle (processing, storage, and selling), in order to identify conditions, under which possible risk can arise, and necessary control measures;
- Development and publication of methodological recommendations: “Ensuring of milk biosafety in livestock farm” and “Ensuring of milk biosafety in processing enterprise.”
- Presentation of project results to state bodies and society of the Kyrgyz Republic. Discussion of further activities in area of dairy products biosecurity.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.