Neutron Protein Indicator
Development and Computational-Experimental Validation of Activation Concept for Neutron Express-Indicator of Protein Content of Grain and Grain Products
Tech Area / Field
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Malakhov Yu I
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Grain, Russia, Moscow
- Institute for Food Product, UK, Swindon
Project summaryThe objective of this project is to develop a concept of the universal neutron express-indicator for the protein content measuring in grain, grain products, and mixed fodder and its components based on the activation method of the nitrogen quantity estimation that is directly proportional to the protein content, in 14-Mev neutron flux of pulse generator.
The concept-based express-indicator developed will meet the following fundamental requirements:
• direct measurement of the nitrogen content in all kinds of grain, grain products, and mixed fodder and its components in a unified calibration and its automatic conversion to the protein content with standard transition coefficients;
• the protein. content operating range of from 8 to 70% covering its all actual values;
• humidity range of the grain under examination of from 8 to 25% at the impurity content up to 6% covering all practically important values of these parameters;
• twenty-four-hour measurement of protein content in industrial production flow;
• overall dimensions (including biological protection) up to 1m3;
• absolute radiation safety.
Measurement error of the express-indicator will reduce with the increase of measurement time. At the time of about 5min it will be not more than the error of the generally used in the world chemical method of Kieldal accepted as standard in Russia (GOST 13496.4-84).
The following results will be obtained after implementation of the project.
1) Activation method of the protein (nitrogen) content express-indicator for examining grain and grain products will be developed;
2) The express-indicator mock-up based on the above method and operating under ultimately close to industrial conditions will be made. Process of the mock-up engineering will include the design and technological development of major units of the express-indicator that may be used in further effort while manufacturing an industrial model;
3 The method and the instrument will be metrologically examined on suiting the requirements of existing standards. Experimental data that verify the method and instrument commercial applicability will be obtained.
Potential obtaining of express-information on the protein content in grain and grain products (measurement time not more than 5 minutes) will enable to develop a commercial method for the protein content monitoring ensuring efficient management of the mixed fodder and grain products production process in order to obtain standard products.
A great commercial effect may be obtained from implementation of this method of express-monitoring in industry because it will enable;
• to compose the protein-specific batches of grain ensuring quality;
• to compose batches with the optimal protein content;
• to deliver raw materials with the standard protein content to brewing plants;
• to manage actively technological process in order to obtain mixed fodder (and otfier products) of a required standard.
The project is proposed for reorientation of a part of the RFNC-VNIITF scientific and technical potential from weapon to peaceful activities, in particular, to researches aimed at development of the concept of neutron express-indicator of the protein content in grain and grain products and its validation through experiments and calculations.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.