Electrochemical Instruments for Environmental Monitoring
Research and Development of Electrochemical Instruments and Procedures for Environmental Monitoring.
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MIN/Monitoring and Instrumentation/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
- Ural Special Design Bureau of Metrology, Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Ekaterinburg\nIVA Co., Ltd, Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Ekaterinburg
- Sycopel Scientific Ltd., UK, Boldon\nUniversität Trier / Abteilung fur Anorganische und Analytische Chemie, Germany, Trier
Project summaryEnvironmental restoration, numerical simulation and prediction of crises, can not be successful without monitoring systems. These systems require measuring means: sensors and instruments that are capable providing the necessary information.
The primary objective of this Project is:
• to develop two kinds of analyzers for the determination of pollution and quality in natural, waste and drinking waters
The result of this project will be:
• portable battery operated analyser for determination of toxic metals concentration, pH Ox-Red potential, Cl ions concentration;
• automatic flow-through system for distance determination of the same parameters;
• novel sensors and procedures, software and hardware for the analyzers mentioned.
We will use stripping coulometry and potentiometry. These are the most sensitive and selective methods. That can be realised in field and flow-through instruments.
A distinctive features of the approach proposed are:
• the use of solid phase sensors instead of mercury one;
• novel disposable sensors for coulometry will be produced with the use of thick film technology and new long-living sensors will be produced for flow-through analyzer using new materials;
• electrochemical sample preparation suitable for use with laboratory, field and on-line analyzers;
• new registration mode;
• application of inner standard method;
• software for process control and data acquisition and hardware for process performing;
• computerised systems and software support for different applications at two levels i.e. system based on inexpensive microprocessor level and system with IBM compatible computer.
Research aimed to widen the field of application of electrochemical methods and to develop a set of instruments: portable and automatic flow-through analyzers capable to accumulate and transfer data to computer Network.
The project besides scientific interest is of commercial importance too, because new laboratory, field and on-line analyzers will have a wide market with major application in environmental monitoring, food industry, clinical laboratories, geochemistry, geology, agriculture, etc.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, which has been developing electrochemical instruments for similar purposes, has expressed interest in collaborating on this project.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.