Treatment of Eye Cancer
Complex Calculation and Experimental Research to Select the Optimal Composition and Application Mode of Ophthalmic Applicators for Treatment of Eye Cancer
Tech Area / Field
- MED-DID/Diagnostics & Devices/Medicine
3 Approved without Funding
FEI (IPPE), Russia, Kaluga reg., Obninsk
- A.I. Burnazyan Federal Medical and Biophysical Center, Russia, Moscow\nMoscow Scientific Research Institute of Ophthalmic Disease (Helmholtz), Russia, Moscow
Project summaryThe radiation therapy by means of the packaged therapeutic radionuclidic ionizing sources (PTRIS) - ophthalmic applicators (OA) are the basic method of the eye cancer disease treatment. An OA set with Sr-90/Y-90 has been developed and being produced in series in Russia. Cancer tumors with a depth up to 3,5 mm can be cured by means of these OA. Besides, OA with Ru-106/Rh-106 have been developed. The beta-emission of them makes it possible to irradiate tumors up to 6 mm effectively. The mentioned OA are at the same quality level as foreign analogues are, and excel them by some characteristics. The disadvantages of the ОA with Ru-106/Rh-106 are as follows:
1) Ru-106/Rh-106 decay is accompanied by hard photon radiation that unfavorably affects the personnel radiation safety,
2) Ru-106/Rh-106 half-life period is 372 days only; it reduces its application time,
3) And the most chief point is that the beta-emitters can't cure tumors which depth is more than 6-8 mm.
The application of the OA with soft gamma-radiation sources or their mixture with beta-radiation sources will enable to overcome the mentioned difficulties. By means of the selection of an optimal composition of the radioisotopes, materials and ОA design it is possible to form dose fields necessary for the irradiation of various configurations of tumors with regard to inpidual eye features, and at the same time to reduce the radiation burden on the adjacent healthy tissues and the personnel significantly. The calculation researches of a dose rate of the gamma- and beta-radiation at any location of the biological object - the eye and the adjacent tissues under their irradiation by a source of the adequate composition and geometry will be carried out in the real three-dimensional geometry by means of computer codes for the irradiation transfer equations solution.
1) to perform theoretical, calculation and experimental researches to determine an optimal isotope or isotope composition and PTRIS design for the treatment of eye malignant tumors of different types and geometry and to prepare the necessary OA set production,
2) to prepare a variant of the computer expert system to develop recommendations for a doctor on the selection of a type and an operation mode of the OA in accordance with an eye and a tumor parameters obtained by means of the diagnostic instrumentation,
3) to involve weapons scientists in the long-term project on medical products manufacturing, to reorient weapons scientific researches to decide tasks of the civil sector.
PTRIS will be presented as OA sets consisting of OA different types. By means of them a required dose field is formed located in the damaged zone mostly under the minimum irradiation of the healthy tissues. The set of the OA different types will provide execution of the radiation therapy of the most frequent dimensions, shapes and locations of the eye malignant tumors.
The IPPE has an experience of the production of the packaged sources for research and technical purposes; sufficient amount of the raw materials for the recovery of necessary isotopes; the ready radiochemical production cycle; an experimental workshop; welding laboratories; free premises and scientific and technical personnel to perform calculation and experimental researches and to create the OA test samples. The BPI has an experience of many years in the field of medical source development and their certification by dosimetric parameters. It has the equipment and premises necessary to carry out all the researches connected with this project. MSRIOD of ophthalmic diseases named after Helmholtz has an experience of the medical OA development and practical application for eye tumor treatment.
The project has a great social significance because the ОA sets production will be a result of its execution. These ophthalmic applicators can be used by medical institutions in Russia as well as outside Russia.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.