Herb Adaptation in Harsh Environment
Rehabilitation of Herbs from Environmentally Unfavorable Regions. Recovery of Substances - Adaptogenes
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Kazakh National University, Kazakstan, Almaty
- Kazakh Research Institute of Oncology and Radiology, Kazakstan, Almaty\nNational Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakstan / Institute of Radiation Security and Ecology, Kazakstan, Kurchatov
Project summaryThe aim of the project is rehabilitation of herbs collected in environmentally unfavorable regions of Kazakhstan and recovery of substances-adaptogenes in them.
It is expected to investigate of chemical composition of herbs, collected in environmentally unfavorable regions including regions with increased radiation background. Using a database for chemical composition of Kazakhstan’s herbs, we plan to recover the substances that helped herbs to survive and adapt themselves to the existing environmental situation. Having data on chemical composition and concentration of separate substances of different groups of natural compounds and their proportion in herbs one can investigate the reasons of adaptation of these herbs to concrete environmental conditions.
· It is planned to investigate chemical composition and proportions of natural substances in herbs and to rehabilitate those herbs that are the most popular, but are not sold in drugstores.
· It is planned to prepare recommendations for utilization herbs collected in environmentally unfavorable regions explaining, if necessary, specific features.
· It is planned to prepare recommendation for prophylaxis and health improvement for people leaving in zones of environmental disaster, increased radiation background, working in atomic industry and other environmentally unfavorable regions.
· It is planned to recover substances-adaptogenes, places of their location and dynamic of accumulation in the herbs.
Potential role of foreign partners
Parallel and joint biological tests of phyto-preparations for anti-tumor activity and for enforcement of immune system of humans.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.