Destruction of Tornadoes and Hurricanes
Development of Mechanisms of Destruction of Tornadoes and Hurricanes
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Moscow Power Engineering Institute, Russia, Moscow
- VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Los-Alamos National Laboratory / Research and Development Group NIS-RD, USA, NM, Los-Alamos
Project summaryDespite of the successes in the development of supervision systems (including space systems) on moving tornadoes and hurricanes and the availability of large databanks about these natural phenomena, the prediction systems presently in use are not capable of ensuring a satisfactory level of protection for the population and numerous expensive and ecologically dangerous terrestrial industrial objects. In this regard, research for novel, much more reliable ways of forecasting both the place and the time of tornado and hurricane generation is necessary. The development of reliable methods for forecasting the place and time of tornado and hurricane generation allows to affect them at the early stages of their formation. Despite of the enormous amount of energy concentrated by a tornado, it is presently possible to destroy it by generating special modulated force influence on the tornado, leading to its subsequent splitting into small-sized whirlwinds, removal of its energy and attenuation. The physical mechanism underlying such force influence can be connected to the organization of directed or volume explosions to create the gap in the tornado column inside the thunderstorm cloud and parametrical influence on a tornado cone, including intensification of water condensation process with the help of chemical reagents and external electrical field. The size of water drops can be controlled by powerful resonant acoustic influence.
In comparison with traditional methods, the proposed method of tornado generation and destruction (MTGD) has a number of advantages:
– active principle of work both determined by remote control management and selectivity of tornado destruction;
– high mobility of protection devices ensuring protection opportunity for large areas;
– high technological and operational compatibility with protection-targeted objects;
– creation of effective means for tornado-like whirls generation for scientific, industrial and ecological applications.
In addition to above mentioned, data obtained about MTGD efficiency can be used for development of effective methods of distant control of precipitation rate of air aerosols, including radioactive aerosols, due to coagulation of aerosols in a large whirlwind such as a tornado with simultaneous influence on dangerous gas products by the plasma - chemical reactions in the electrical discharges generated by charged drops and transfer of such products to any given location. (some kind of specific atmospheric scrubber).
Within the scope of Project activities the following sound theoretical backgrounds of the tornado generation process will be worked out, numerical modeling of the phenomenon conducted and experimental data obtained needed to begin the practical stage of MTGD:
– information obtained about tornado formation process, which take place when axially symmetric uprising humid air flow loses stability and number of rotating air jets flowing parallel to the ground are formed. These jets after merging form 3-dimensional tornado-like vortex;
– tornado cone development process and its stability clarified;
– key factors for development, movement ant life-time of tornado defined;
– possibility of tornado destruction examined and energy needed for this calculated;
– analytical and numerical models of tornado evolution are to be created, which allow to obtain the response of tornado on any given external control action with account of energy, mass charge turbulent transfer in humid air flows inside tornado.
The final results of the Project is to be working-out the recommendations and methodic for creation of full-sized experiments on MTGD. The implementation of this Project will give to scientists, working in the field of nuclear arms creation and testing, possibilities for peaceful research.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.