New Yak Genotypes
Biological Methods of Creation of New Genotypes Yaks
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz Research Institute of Livestock, Veterinary and Pastures, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- STZ-Internationale Wissensverwertung und Technologiemanagement, Germany, Ostfildern\nInternational Yak Association, USA, CO, Hillside
The project aim is to create a new genotype of yaks as a base of an ecological pure beef and leather materials production efficiency increasing.
The following tasks will be solved:
- To develop bio-technological methods for yak genotypes creation;
- To study influence bio-ecological methods on high mountain pastures improving;
- To establish scientifically the correlation between yak genotypes and ecology of the Central Asia region, to study grass nutrition at high mountains pastures;
- To develop genetic and zoo-technical methods of new animal types breeding and perfecting in the Central Asia region;
- To reorient scientific ability of former weapon scientists to the yak-breeding to improve state with sharp reduction of yaks stock, to integrate of Kyrgyz graziers into international science community, to create conditions for tourists to know exotic type of animals and yak graziers living conditions.
First at Kyrgyzstan and Central Asia region one settled methods for creating of new yak genotypes with special biologic and economic signs. It is the project orginality.
Bio-technological methods of new yak genotypes creation are the following:
- Method for creation of black yak genotype on the base of its natural and artificial selection during long time thoroughbred breeding with close and moderate related inbreeding;
- Method for creation of brown yak genotype on the base of historical yaks hybridization with cattle using artificial selection and close and moderate related inbreeding;
- Method for creation of mixed yak genotype on the base of alternated yaks hybridization with cattle using artificial selection and close and moderate related inbreeding.
Study of Kyrgyz yak population allowed to show that it consist of various types of animals with different characteristics of origin and productivity. So, live weight of black type cattle is 304 kg, brown type – 282 kg, and mixed type – 246 kg. Study of the cattle-build shown that lengthiness index for black yaks was 122.9%, for brown – 116.5%, and for mixed – 112.3%. As result the massiveness index was 158.7%, 156.7%, and 150.8% accordingly.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.