Civil Technologies Data Base
The Development of Data Base and Servers on Technologies for the Nonmilitary Fields
Tech Area / Field
- INF-DAT/Data Storage and Peripherals/Information and Communications
3 Approved without Funding
ITEF (ITEP), Russia, Moscow
- VNIIKhT (Chemical Technology), Russia, Moscow\nNIIIT (Pulse Techniques), Russia, Moscow
- University of Illinois, USA, IL, Urbana
Project summaryThe main task of the first stage of the project is an installation in ITEP, RIPT and RIChT WEB-servers and databases on the technologies and leading specialists. On further stages there is a possibility to join the project other institutions of the atomic industry and other branches. The servers will be supplied with searching and data retrieval system, which runs over all the servers. It is supposed to store in the database information of technological developments, on ecology, nuclear test control, nontraditional source of energy, telecommunications and other scientific fields.
On the first stage it is supposed to create such databases in three Moscow institutions: State Scientific Center “Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics (ITEP)” (the main profile is fundamental development); Research Institute of Pulse Technique (applied scientific and technologic equipment) Russian Institute of Chemical Technology (RIChT; applied chemical developments).
Such a choice helps to fix data formats of DB-records for very wide range of technologies. The final aim of the project is a federal technological databank, which in the future may be a part of the worldwide databank.
The project will help to preserve information on developed technologies, which otherwise may be lost. This will also help to make the distribution of such an information more controllable as there will be a particular person responsible for particular technology. This is especially important for double-aim technologies.
The databases will be used to provide a suitable means to search and retrieve necessary data on technologies and specialists in different fields. The information is going to be acquired on participant’s WEB-servers. Such architecture helps to preserve author rights, makes faster any updates and minimizes errors, which can arise in case of any rewriting of the data. It is desirable to use data formats and software tools, which are compatible with, used in other countries. These databanks may be a basis of the future consulting companies; they can help to find some contracts for the people in the native institution.
WEB-servers will be installed in every institution-participant. These servers contain reference information of technological developments and the people who fulfilled them. The servers will have authentic Russian and English sections. These servers contain digests on particular technologies, are accessible via Internet and can provide users with telephone numbers, faxes, and e-mail addresses of contact persons. Every server has a pair, which contains a full description of technology. But this second server is disconnected from Internet. To get this information from this server one should negotiate the information owner. The access to this part of database is defined by the internal rules of particular institution.
In the project frames it is supposed to carry out the following:
· To develop forms for filling in personal databases and instruction for technology description preparation, to define a list of available services.
· To fix a list of software recommended for database support and for data retrieval. To covert the documentation of to a standard HTML-form.
· To create a specialized WEB-server at every institution-participants on technology and personal. To prepare an instruction for database installation and support, requirements for hardware of the servers and telecommunication channels.
· To define the list of technologies which are to be described at first.
· The ITEP group develops and installs the data retrieval system making a search in all WEB-servers of the project (keywords, thesauruses etc.). All full text documents will be indexed. This system may have a subsection, which is dedicated for a document search in other databanks, e.g. ISTC projects.
· To test the system on the limited data and develop recommendation for further improvements.
· To prepare a full-scale demonstration of the databases and data retrieval system for all three servers.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.