Monitoring of Pesticides Residues and their Ecological Safety
Monitoring of Pesticides in Georgia, their Biotransformation in the Environment and Organization of Eco-Educational Measures Among Population
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Durmishidze Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Washington State University / Environmental Quality Laboratory, USA, WA, Richland\nFachrichtung Angewandte Geochemie der Universitat des Saarlandes, Germany, Saarbrücken\nTechnische Universität München / Lehrstuhl fur Chemisch-Technische Analyse und Chemische Lebensmitteltechnologie, Germany, Freising-Weihenstephan\nUniversity of Iowa, USA, IA, Iowa City
Project summaryThe goal of the project is:
– to receive scientifically well grounded and realistic data on pesticides residues of territory on Georgia;
– drawing up of a model systems for complex study of pesticides detoxification processes in biosphere objects;
– carrying out of monitoring and prognosis of ecological danger of pesticides residues and their toxic metabolites;
– working out of recommendation and practical measures on pesticides residues utilization;
– organization of educational measures among population on pesticides ecology.
Present situation of pesticides ecology in Georgia as well as on territory of the former USSR is very complicated. For many decades pesticides had been used without study of their harmful effect on nature and people. After destruction of USSR many storehouses with pesticides remained as the sources of environment contamination.
Introduction of a new generation of pesticides without taking into consideration climatic-geographical and regional factors is dangerous.
Scientific information on behavior of pesticides in biosphere is the basis for working out of measures, directed to elimination and reduction to minimum of a threat of negative consequences.
The given project is aimed to make a valuable contribution to the solution of the problems of pesticides ecology in the concrete regional situations of Georgia.
The participants in the project are competent scientists in the field of chemical ecology and synthesis of biologically active compounds. The project manager, head of laboratory of Agroecology of the Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology of Georgian Academy of Sciences has over 70 scientific papers on pesticides ecology.
The results of investigation of processes of pesticides biotransformation will be the bases for working out of models of forecasting of their ecological influence on nature, monitoring of pesticides residues, methodological perfection of toxic pesticides metabolites determination, sanitary hygienic norms in biosphere objects, etc.
The project considers the possibility of quantitative approach to description of pesticides residues behavior in soil and plants as to ground separate methodological conditions, which can be used at study of xenobiotics and practical realization of their results.
Educational measures will have practical application as well as electron and public information on the results of project realization.
It is supposed that the project meets the goals of ISTC. The participants in the project, earlier working on synthesis and metabolism of toxic chemical preparations will be able to work on problems of pesticides ecology. They will contact and integrate with the scientists of the developed countries.
The volume of the given project will embrace data on defining qualitative and quantitative state of pesticides residues on whole territory of Georgia.
Realization of the given project implies accomplishment of the following tasks:
1. To establish sources (objects) of pesticides residues accumulation where is a real danger of environmental pollution. Carrying out of ecological expeditions for evaluation of real situation concerning the level of pesticides contamination on whole territory of Georgia.
2. To investigate detoxification processes of main representatives of pesticides, contaminating the studied territories; establishment of chemical nature and toxicity level of the studied xenobiotics metabolism products.
3. To elucidative detoxification peculiarities of different classes of pesticides in separate biological objects (plants, microorganisms, etc.).
4. To work out the pathways of residues determination, that will permit reveal nonchangeable molecules of initial pesticides as well as of their metabolites.
5. To work out practical recommendations and measures of utilization and detoxification of pesticides residues for purification and recultivation of the contaminated objects.
6. To carry out ecological-educational measures on pesticides ecology (conducting of seminars, training, conferences) publication of the received results, conference proceedings, reports and their popularization through informational service.
Main tasks of the project will be realized at the Institute of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Georgian Academy of Sciences (leading organization), using material-technical bases and intellectual potential.
Activity of foreign collaborators in the total project activity is defined by:
– exchange of information at project realization and review of reports on each stage of the program;
– cross examination of the results of investigation;
– joint use of certain equipment, test material and samples.
– conducting of joint seminars and conferences, organization of educational measures among population.
For realization of the project tasks a special scientific program has been worked out. Ecological expedition will be held on territories of former storehouses to determine pesticides residues.
Unified methods of pesticides determination will be used at sample examination.
Realization of the project will permit to continue and finish earlier carried out investigations and to use the results.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.